taking gb/gbc/gba games and dumping them onto pc

Legendeer

Why would running my own tracker be out of the question? Is it difficult to do?

Maybe I should search the net for a site that uses torrents and trackers etc already, then I could look at how they do it and I would get a better idea of how it works.

J

Jet Set Willy

suprnova.org is perhaps the best known one, and the biggest, but it's very slow because of all the traffic (and I shouldn't really be posting it here, oh well).

A tracker would be hard to run because it requires having a machine permanently connected to the Internet to run the tracker. You can't just host it on free Web space unfortunately.

Some tracker information here: http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/57.html

You could potentially run one on a PHP & MySQL web account, but I doubt you'll find a suitable one for free, and it would probably be shut down by the host anyway.

Legendeer

having my own tracker would be out of the question then, you're right. Thanks for the link, I'm looking at it now.

But I don't think websites with trackers would see the point of letting me link to their trackers. And that would mean I couldn't choose what ROMS to link to, so it would be like a copy of their site. Hmm..... ;)

J

Jet Set Willy

No, you can create your own torrent files, which use their trackers to manage all of the download/upload organisation. You'd still have a .torrent file which you could host on your own site (and they'd likely host it on their sites too, as payment for using their tracker). A torrent can be hosted anywhere, as it's basically just a link to the trackers.

You might be interested in having a look at http://animesuki.com/, a site run by the owner of this site (I think it shares the same host machine as Emulator-Zone too). It's a good example of how a torrent site works. I imagine a lot of those torrents use a tracker which is not affiliated with the same site.

Legendeer

Okay, so first I need to find a site that would let me use a tracker (do I need just 1 tracker for all the ROMs, or 1 tracker for every ROM?).

Then I need to find out how to use trackers, or whatever I would need to do to find sharers of the ROMs I want to host (However you do that :huh: ).

Then I'm done. Is that right?

thanks!!!

Oh and by the way, I've installed bittorrent but I can't find it in Start>Programs. Plus, I've been back onto the game boy roms site, but I click on the download link and a box comes up saying windows cannot find SHAREAZA.EXE. I think you have to have bittorrent running, except it doesn't seem to exist on my PC even though I've installed it. I did Start>Search and typed bittorrent but I only got a couple of .ico files, some .dll's and a readme file.

J

Jet Set Willy

Shareazaa is probably causing all of those errors, it messes up file associations. BitTorrent would normally launch automatically. Perhaps you should uninstall Shareaza and reinstall BitTorrent.

You use a special program to build torrents (http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/maketorrent/). It will ask you for the filename and a few options, and the URL of the tracker you want to use.

For the torrent to work you'll need to always have at least one person sharing the file. Generally as the torrent gets popular this is never a problem, as there are always people with it open. If you get some torrents going I can help you there - I can make sure I'm always keeping some of your torrents open, as my computer is connected pretty much permanently.

J

Jet Set Willy

Once you have a torrent set up and shared, you'll have an interface like this to keep track of it:

(it's good etiquette to keep a torrent uploading until your share rating is above 1.0 - that means you've uploaded as much as you've downloaded)

Attachments

• torrent.gif
    torrent.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 0

Legendeer

If you get some torrents going I can help you there - I can make sure I'm always keeping some of your torrents open, as my computer is connected pretty much permanently.

Thanks for the offer, that would be great. So I only need to use one tracker? What websites should I be looking for to ask them to use one of theirs?

I have already uninstalled shareaza a little while ago. I dunno if it uninstalled properly or what though. but it's not on the system anymore.

The only thing I don't understand is how will the first ever person to my website download a ROM, because there won't be any sharers because no one will have downloaded it?

J

Jet Set Willy

Usually the person who puts the torrent up will keep it open on their own computer for a while so that people can connect to it and download it, so that it propogates to a few other people. That's called "seeding" the torrent - a seed is a person who is sharing the full file for everybody else to download. That's the reason I can help you there - you'll need somebody constantly seeding the file for a while.

I don't really know which tracker you should use. I know that maketorrent has some tracker links built in - I guess you just have to keep making torrents with different trackers until you come up with one which works. You'll know when it doesn't work because BitTorrent will say "Error connecting to tracker".

Legendeer

I've just made a torrent, but the tracker didn't work - I was just messing around and seeing how it worked. I'll try with the other built in trackers too. Thanks!

and would it be possible for me to ZIP the ROMS before I add them to a .torrent file? Then that would speed up download time too.

Do i just need to add a normal link to a web page to test the tracker? Like this:-

Link Text and that will work?

J

Jet Set Willy

You need to upload the torrent, it won't work as a link to your PC. Naturally torrents are very small files, as they are basically links theirselves.

It's best to ZIP the ROMs, yes.

I suggest you put the torrent links on some Web space you're not afraid of losing (in case the host takes offence at what you're doing). Good luck!

J

Jet Set Willy

You could try finding a working torrent and copying the tracker it uses. I'm pretty sure most trackers need registering with though. Worth visiting the Web sites associated with them.

Legendeer

I think I've found one and I'm trying to register with it now. I've got to go out shortly but I'll probably be back later to carry on experimenting with the torrents and everything.

it won't work as a link to your PC

I know I would have to upload the torrents eventually, but just testing it for myself I can just do it on my desktop, can't I?

J

Jet Set Willy

Yep, you don't even need to put it on a Web page though, you could just double click the torrent file from your desktop (as long as the file association thing is fixed).

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Basicaly if you find the exact same file you wish to download in another tracker you will be able to resume. I've swiched trackers for a single file several times so I'm sure that it works. Just make sure it is the exact same file as just a small difference will result in a faliure.

Please remember that you cannot simply edit a torrent file to use another tracker as it would be kind of pointless if nobody knows that the certain file is being shared to that tracker. In every case that I swiched trackers the website that listed the torrents had all the trackers that supported that file as well.

Legendeer

why are you answering questions nobody asked?

Yeah, I thought that too. I think he just misread my question. Thanks anyway though Lefteris! :D

Lemon, this comes up when I list the tracker as exodus-track or something from the maketorrent built-in ones:-

bt.gif

I clicked on view the site and it said it had moved so I went to the new site and I can't find anything about trackers. shall I just try another tracker?

Ta,

:)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Didnt you say something about swiching trackers? To be exact you said: "You could try finding a working torrent and copying the tracker it uses".

I simply provided some extra information :)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
"rejected by tracker" means that the torrent does not exist in the tracker's batabase so any connections are rejected.

You can only use the tracker that was originally available for that torrent.

J

Jet Set Willy

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Mar 20 2004, 01:40 PM
Didnt you say something about swiching trackers? To be exact you said: "You could try finding a working torrent and copying the tracker it uses".

I simply provided some extra information :)
I didn't mean the same file, I just meant finding any old torrent which works, as a means of locating a valid tracker.