why can't i save on pokemon fire red and leaf green??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu hazuki

this will help.

>*NOTE*: If you are playing Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, you MUST use this method, or you will not be able to continue playing your game after defeating the Elite Four. Save States WILL NOT work for continuing the game.

Some of you may have noticed that when you boot up a Pokemon game (And some other games) in VisualBoy Advance (I will refer to it as VBA in this guide) that you can not save correctly. This is because of a unique memory requirement for those games that VBA in general do not recognize. They require a bit more memory for their saves than the standard 128K for 128K-Flash saving games.
You can, however, make a vba-over.ini file that overrides the default settings for VBA and tells it exactly how much memory to use when making a save for the specified game.
I will guide you step by step on how to do this.
Be aware that you cannot apply this fix mid-game and you must start a new game after doing it, so it is recommended that you do this before starting your game.

First off, boot VBA and go to your options/emulation/directories. Go to Browse and check to make sure the ROM that you want to save correctly is in the default ROM directory, as that is where the vba-over.ini will look.
Now, rename your ROM as needed if you have not done so already, and put it in that directory.
If you are using windows, right click on the Desktop and select new, and then New Text document. This is where you will put the code for the game you want to save. Here are some codes for the Pokemon games that need this patch.

e-Reader (U)
[PSAE]
flashSize=131072

Pokemon Ruby (U)
[AXVE]
rtcEnabled=1
flashSize=131072

Pokemon Sapphire (U)
[AXPE]
rtcEnabled=1
flashSize=131072

Pokemon FireRed (U)
[BPRE]
flashSize=131072

Pokemon LeafGreen (U)
[BPGE]
flashSize=131072

Pokemon Emerald (U)
[BPEE]
rtcEnabled=1
flashSize=131072

Now, Put your needed codes into the vba-over.ini file and rename the game titles in the codes to the ones you named the roms. Don't put the file extension.
Now you have completed your vba-over.ini file. Save it and then rename it vba-over.ini if you did not already, and then put it in the root directory of your VBA emulator (meaning DO NOT put it in the roms/music/skins directory but the directory before them where your default.vba is, for all of you slower types.)
Now set frameskip to 2 if it isn't already.
Set Flash Size to 128K.
Save type should be on Automatic.
Turn on GBA Real Time clock, ESPECIALLY if you are playing Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

That should be it! Enjoy your correctly-saving game.

P.S. You will know if you did something wrong for Fire Red/ Leaf Green if you get the message "1M sub-circuit board not installed" after you press start at the Press start screen.

Taure

Hiya, I have the "1m sub-circuit board not installed" problem, and am now trying your method for fixing it. Could you clarify what you mean here:

"and rename the game titles in the codes to the ones you named the roms. Don't put the file extension."

?

Thanks!

presstart2begin

try to download another rom and save from the emulator and the game

to continue playing on emerald version (after elite 4) is go to "options>emulator>real time clock" during the credits, thats what worked for me
I am also trying the same for fire red/leaf green and im thinking of other ways to pass this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.