How do I get emulators and roms on my Xbox?

Toecutter II

I know where to find ROMs, but I need to know what emulators work with Xbox, and how to put them and the roms on the Xbox.

Toecutter II

I also need to know what I need and the terms.

I don't know where to get a chip and what a ftp thing is...

Help please. :(

Styrofoam

Old Fart
First of all you need a modded xbox.

That means it's been either fitted with a mod-chip or soft-modded (ie. a vulnerability has been exploited). That'll enable your xbox to play dvd-rs or original games from any region. I suggest you find an electronics vendor, who supply this service, since that's the easiest solution for anyone new to the world of modchips. The operation takes no more than 30 mins, and isn't costly.

Some people also like to add a bigger HDD once their XB has been chipped, this is not necessary if you just wanna play emulators tho'

Secondly you need to state which systems you're interested in emulating, since the list of XB emulators is long. See for yourself (note! most of these are ports of PC emulators);

AdamX - ColecoVision/Adam Emulator port for XBox.
ArnoldX - Amstrad CPC
AtariXLBox - AtariXLBox is a Atari 800/5200/130/320/XL/XE
BlissX - Intellivision
BlueMSXBox - MSX/MSX2/MSX2+
Bochs - x86 (PC)
DGen - Sega Genesis
DOSXBox - DOSBox (286/386 PC Emulator)
Daedalus X - N64
DaphneX - Laserdisc Arcade Emulator (yes it pålays Dragon's lair
Dega-X - Sega master system and Game Gear
DegaBox - Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
DreamSPEC - ZX Spectrum
FBA-X - FBA (arcade emulator for CPS-1& CPS-2 arcade hardware)
FBA-xxx Pro - FBA (emulator for MC68000/Z80, neogeo, cps2 and cps1 based arcade games).
FCEUltraX - NES
FMSXBox - MSX/MSX2/MSX2+
Frodo-X - C64
FuseX - FUSE (Free Unix Spectrum Emulator).
Gens-X - Sega Mega CD, 32X & SRAM(BRAM)
Gens_xport - Sega Genesis/Megadrive/32X/SegaCD/MegaCD
Gnuboy - Gameboy/Gameboy Color emulator
HuGoX - PCE
KI-Emu X - Killer Instinct 1 and 2 arcade emulator
Kaster-X - SEGA MASTER SYSTEM
Kawa-X - Capcom CPS1, CPS2 and SNK NeoGeo emulator.
KegsX - Apple IIgs/e/c/+
Koleko-X - COLECOVISION
LynXBox - Atari Lynx
MAME-X - MAME
MAMEdOX - MAME
MAMEoX - MAME
MednafenX-Lynx - Atari Lynx
MednafenX-NES - NES/Famicom Disk System/VS UniSystem
MednafenX-PCE - PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16/SuperGrafx/Arcade Card CD/CD/SCD
MekaX - Sega Master System/Game Gear/SG-1000/SC-3000/SF-7000/MK3 NeoCD/SDLx - NeoCD/SDL neogeo CD emulator.
NeoGenesis - Sega Genesis/Megadrive/32X/SegaCD/MegaCD Emulator
NeoPop-X - NeoGeo pocket color
NeoPopX - see above
Nester X - NES
OdysseyX - Odyssey 2
Oswan-X - Wonderswan
PCSXBox - PS1
PJ64-X - N64
SC3X - SEGA SG-1000
SMSPlusX - Sega Master System
ScummVM Xbox - Allows playing games based on LucasArts' Scumm (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) system.
ScummVMx - See above
Snes9x X - SNES
SpeXtrum - ZX Spectrum
Stella - Atari 2600
Surreal64 - N64
U64-X - Killer Instinct 1 and 2 arcade emulator
UAE-X - Amiga
Uvba - Game Boy Advance
Vice20X - VIC-20
Vice64X - C64
VicePETX - Commodore PET
WinSTonX - Atari ST
WinUAEX - Amiga
WonderSwanX - Wonderswan
XBoyAdvance - GBA/GBC/GB/SGB/SGB2
XMugen-linux - XMugen–linux is not an xbox port of M.U.G.E.N, it’s a mini linux distro reduced to it’s minimum in order to launch mugen on Xbox.
XNES - SNES
XPCE-X - PCE
Xenesis - Sega Genesis/Megadrive, 32X and Sega CD
Xthom - thomson to7-70
Xvectrex - Vectrex
Xzx81- ZX81
Z26X - Atari 2600
ZsnexBox - SNES
eXtremeGB - Gameboy/GBC

So when you're XB is ready to read DVD-Rs, and you have decided which emulators you want to try, feel free to come back here, and we'll help.

BTW: FTP = File Transfer Protocol. In short you connect your XB to your PC and transfer any files you want to.

Toecutter II

Do I have to buy a chip? If so, where?

And is there any way of modding without putting some chip in?

Styrofoam

Old Fart
There are several online retailers that deals in modchips, just do a google search for "modchip xbox", but then you'll have to install it yourself. Check the yellow pages to see who will do the operation locally for you, and at what price.

Yes you can mod an XB with a so-called soft-mod. It's usually some sort of savegam,e exploit, and can be a somewhat lenghty not to mention tricky process. I'm not direct linking to anything, but again, google is your friend; "xbox softmod"

msu005

Hello all...
I have a modded xbox and cant find any reliable sources for system emulators. I have an upgraded HD so I am looking to place everything (SNES, NES, all SEGA, etc) I can find on it! All info would be appreciated...

Toecutter II

Ok, a friend of mine is helping me mod my Xbox, softmodding, too. So, he said you need to install some FTP program on your Comp b4 transfering the roms/emulators to your Xbox. Please elabortate.:happy:

Also, thanks for all your help. I am a newb with Xbox modding, though I can do quite well on all of Sony's systems. Imagine that.:dry:

CARZ

Hello Toecutter II, I'm new on this forum... I have some questions about this subject, maybe you can help me (or someone else):

- Is there a way to play multiplayer GBA on XBox?
- I haven't seen any Saturn emulator, is there any SS emulator?
- Can I play 3D MAME fighting games like Dead or Alive or Tekken 3 on XBox?

Thank you in advance :)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hello Toecutter II, I'm new on this forum... I have some questions about this subject, maybe you can help me (or someone else):

- Is there a way to play multiplayer GBA on XBox?
- I haven't seen any Saturn emulator, is there any SS emulator?
- Can I play 3D MAME fighting games like Dead or Alive or Tekken 3 on XBox?

Thank you in advance :)

No to all 3.

spider88

hey every one i have a moded xbox with evox an avalaunch dashboards i have several self installed emulators adamx, mameox launcher, neogenesis, pcsxbox, super nintendo entertainment system, surreal 64, xboyadvance, xsnes9x, and z26x. i was woundering how to actully put the roms on im not sure how to do that an i can not get ahold of the person who gave me this xbox so if any one could help me that would be great thanks for your time.......

fumanchu

do you have the unleashx dashboard or xbox media centre or an app called dvd2xbox coz you can burn the roms to cd in the form of a data disc.then you can use unleashx or xbmc file explorer to copy the roms to whichever emulators rom folder that you want.dvd2xbox will also copy the roms to your hdd if you burn them to disc.

gforce75

Cloud
I haven't done much reading on the XBox emulators, but are they fully compatiable for it? I recall a year ago reading some articles about it... including ones for the 360 (which required some extensive hacking).

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
I haven't done much reading on the XBox emulators, but are they fully compatiable for it? I recall a year ago reading some articles about it... including ones for the 360 (which required some extensive hacking).

as far as i know it is possible with some emulators but you always need to hack it, wich can oftenly be done by people in your neigborhood but it will cost you around 100$ {don't know for sure}

sunaami

How do I connect my Xbox to the internet through my laptop? I have DSL, I have a wireless router plugged into the modem, I have one computer connected directly to the router and a laptop connected wirelessly. I want to hook up my Xbox to my laptop to connect to Xbox Live but when I enable internet connection sharing on the laptop it tells me that the default address used for internet connection sharing is already in use, even though both the computer and the laptop are configured to use ip address' above 192.168.0.102 so as to not block the default ICS port (192.168.0.101). What can I do to fix this?

Zach

Those are internal network IPs. Everyone has them and uses the same number range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. It's impossible to do anything with those IP's as they are unreachable behind the NAT and won't gain you anything. It's completely safe, hell posting your WAN (what people on the internet connect to) isn't going to hurt you much either unless someone is specifically out to get you or you have shit security..

Anyhow
Why don't you just hook your Xbox up to the router? why are you going through your laptop?

biomechanical

You dont need a modchip to mod an original xbox.....you can doit by softmodding it. simple as that I used to mod a lot xbox with modchip in the past but after that I was doing it with soft modding If you need advice on the xbox matter let me know..... I also make an tabbletop arcade with an xbox... check my page**********

Last edited by a moderator:

crimesolvinghat

I'm interested in what this soft mod is called and/or where to get it. Any and all info would be apreciated. The last thing I modded was a PS1 with a solder chip, and I'm not trying to melt the Xbox board.

fumanchu

if your looking to softmod then you have 2 choices you can either do the hotswap method or you can use the gamesave exploit hack which is much easier.
and getting emus and roms on your xbox is easy if you know how to ftp.
or you can just burn them to cdrw/dvdr and the xbox will read them off the discs or you can burn the discs to the xbox hdd with dvd2xbox.