Direct X 10 News

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
There are troubled times ahead. Through one bold move, Microsoft has decided that it will not support, the already too “old” DirectX 9, not to mention DirectX 8 or any of the previous versions. But... it appears to be some logic hidden somewhere.

The new DirectX will not be named Windows Graphic Foundation (WGF) as it was planned and will remain at the old name, as in DirectX 10. It will be released with their brand new operating system Vista. This news API will be composed of new and faster dynamic link libraries (DLLs) and will run much faster (so they say).

Microsoft has decided that backward compatibly with DirectX 9,8,7 isn't really necessary as there will probably will be even less compatible with Vista.

Even so, dear Microsoft hasn't totally forgotten us. Some sort of “compatibility” will be available through a software layer (probably some emulation) which will have its price in system resources, as it will run much slower. The good news is that DirectX 10 will relieve some of the burden on the CPU.

And of course it will have support for the next generation of Pixel Shaders 4.0, although it will probably surface before even Vista's release due to the rapid development of graphic cards.

This week, Softpedia News enters the Battle of Browsers. Which do you think is the best browser? Vote for your favorite browser.

6th of September 2005, 12:43 GMT | Copyright (c) 2005 Softpedia | Contact:
Rating: | 135 vote(s) so far | Cast your vote:
Read by 66,976 user(s) | Add comment | Link to this news
Subscribe to news | Print article | Send to friend
TODAY'S HEADLINES: Electrical Currents Used in Obesity Treatment Zenwalk Linux Red Hat Scores FAA Deal The Internet Neutrality Receives Another Blow Mac OS X Security Flaws Identified, but Not Solved The New SANYO SCP-7500 Phone Nokia Plans to Open A Line of Retail Stores in the US Cyberathlete Professional League’s 2006 World Tour Will not Take Place
Today's News | Yesterday's News | View News Archive
Search:

DirectX 10...and so it ends! - USER OPINIONS

Comment #1 by ds1200 on 2005-09-06, 22:36 GMT reply to this comment
Let's see, so far Microsoft failed to provide decent support for any technology that is currently in use (DirectX 9 and OpenGL). Hey, probably we all need to throw our old games and programs in trash (as well as graphic cards, computers) and buy brand new "Microsoft certified Vista products" for extra $$$. Nice move Microsoft, you are reinventing the wheel again, and we are suckers that will pay for that and fill your pockets once again.

Comment #2 by Hungryhaney on 2005-12-01, 15:08 GMT reply to this comment
Or will we? With game consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 and all of Nintendo's offerings I think this will make more and more people switch. In the long run I see the PC gaming business taking one on the nose.

Reply #2.1 by Numbchuck on 2005-12-08, 10:37 GMT
Actually, since the PS3 and Xbox 360 use DirectX 9; which is obviously gonna be a lot slower and crapper than DX 10 because of all the backwards compatability junk stuffed in there, I think PC games are gonna start to become much more popular.
Anyway when you start to playing DX 10 games your not gonna wanna play the rubbish you think is great today. Its about time for microsoft to make a step forward.

Comment #3 by Applemacmad on 2006-04-27, 22:49 GMT reply to this comment
At this rate, Vista is going to be a flop. All it is XP with some pretty pictures and Mac coppied features. DX9 is nothing compared to Quartz 2D, and with Apple almost finished Quartz 2D Extreme, DX10 doesn't stand a chance. Does DX10 even support hardware rendering? (quartz 2D extreme does!)Also the fact that 60% of Vista has to be re-written. I read an article a few years ago about Tiger vs Longhorn. It said that they were due to come out at the same time. Tiger has been out for ages, and VIsta is still ages off! At this rate, Leopard will make it before Vista!
Do the right thing - switch to Mac!

Got this from

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-and-so-it-ends-7762.shtml

montpics

Assuming it really need some more coding to make emalators compatible with the latest version of DirectX.

Mac? I really want to try it out if it is made for normal Intel/AMD CPU processor. :rolleyes:

Zach

Reply #2.1 by Numbchuck on 2005-12-08, 10:37 GMT
Actually, since the PS3 and Xbox 360 use DirectX 9; which is obviously gonna be a lot slower and crapper than DX 10 because of all the backwards compatability junk stuffed in there, I think PC games are gonna start to become much more popular.
Anyway when you start to playing DX 10 games your not gonna wanna play the rubbish you think is great today. Its about time for microsoft to make a step forward.

Haha, this guy is nutts. I guess he doesn't understand the concept of platform specific optimizations & the natural speed that will come from working with proprietary hardware in every box.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Neco said:
Haha, this guy is nutts. I guess he doesn't understand the concept of platform specific optimizations & the natural speed that will come from working with proprietary hardware in every box.
Not nuts or crazy.
Plain stupid.Never owned a console in his f*cking life.