Things I'm looking to improve are:

- Options that help utlize mame Visuals
- Sound Quality
- High Frame rate
- Smoothness
- Sharp
- Colour

Hey guys
I'm using Mame 32 FX ver. 105 and I was wondering what are the best settings to chose to maximize sound and video?

I've read through the faq and I still am not sure or clear on what I could do to optimize
visuals.

Here is the faq I used to help guide me.

" http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mameguide/mame32setup.htm "

The settings in the " advance settings " I am not clear on, hopefully someone can help

example:

match game refresh rate, sync monitor refresh, wait for vertical sync, switch resolution to fit, switch color depth to fit.

here are my settings for default game properties

Display:

off Run in Windows
off Start out Maximized
on Enforce aspect ratio
on Throttle

Clean Stretch
auto

Rotation

Effects
off use scanlines
none

zoom

gamma correction

brightness correction

pause brightness

2 zoom
1 gamma correction
1 Britghtness Correction
0.65 Pause Brightness

Advanced:

yes Use DirectDraw

yes Tripple Buffering

no Match Game Refresh Rate ( turning this on, does it limit the amount of frames?)

yes Sync to monitor refresh ( read turning this on may higher framerate )

yes Wait for Vertical sync ( does turning this on make any difference? If so I'll leave it)

no Switch Resolution to fit ( does this enhance or limit visual quality? I notice when I have this turned on it does not look clear, sharp and colourful )

no Switch color depth to fit ( does this enhance or limit visual quality? I notice when I have it turned on it does not look as clear, sharp and colourful )

Resolution:

auto size
auto depth
auto refresh

1 Full screen brightness

yes stretch using hardwae
aspect ratio 4:3

fram skip
no automatic
draw every frame

Direct3D:
Default ( Anything I touch here causes the game to look bad with scnalines etc.)

Sound:

( I dont think there is anything more i can do for sound quality but maybe there is an extra plug in or something that may help?)

yes Enable sound and sound CPUs
yes Use Samples
yes Use Folume auto Adjustment

sample rate

volume attenuation
0db

audio latency 1/5

Well thanks for reading, I hope some one can shed some lite as to what would be the best settings or what I can do to optimize them

Thanks for posting

Jimmy

Currently Running

Compaq Presario V2000
AMD Turion ML-32 1.8ghz
ATI Radeon X200 integrated 128mb
Ram 1128mb

14" WXGVA High Definition LCD ( Wide Screen )

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Use Mame32 Plus! It has lots of effects you can apply for visual quality.

That's why I chose it.

If your PC can take it use HQ3x.

hagbard

Mame32FX is unfortunately discontinued, so I guess MamePlus is the way now, and now even 4x filters are available (Advanced -> Image Enhacement). ElSemi SupeScale looks pretty good IMHO.

Switch Resolution to fit: I think it's better to turn iit off specially for LCD monitors, to use the recommened monitor res.

Wait for Vertical sync: should slow down if the PC it's not fast enough, but might look smoother

Anyway, take a look at this great guide:

http://www.retroblast.com/articles/winmamemon_1.html

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
hagbard said:
Mame32FX is unfortunately discontinued, so I guess MamePlus is the way now, and now even 4x filters are available (Advanced -> Image Enhacement). ElSemi SupeScale looks pretty good IMHO.

Switch Resolution to fit: I think it's better to turn iit off specially for LCD monitors, to use the recommened monitor res.

Wait for Vertical sync: should slow down if the PC it's not fast enough, but might look smoother

Anyway, take a look at this great guide:

http://www.retroblast.com/articles/winmamemon_1.html

I know I MAME 32 FX :( and I was really likeing that one too cuz of the sound.

But I'm taking your advice now testing out Mame 32 PLus. I'm hoping the sound quality is there :p

Thanks guys for replying :D

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
HOLY CRAP!!!!! :confused:

You guys weren't kidding about Mame 32 Plus Kicking ass it looks amazing and sounds amazing..

Totaly BLEW ME away!!

Thanks guys for the recommendation!!!

Though I'm having trouble figuring out which enhancement to chose lol

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
If your PC can take it...Use HQ3x,if not...Kreed 2xSal is more than enough.

Glad you realised that Mame32 Plus! is the sh*t.

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
hehe yhaa man its crazy... if I knew Mame 32 Plus was this good I wouldn't have wasted so much time comparing the rest of the other Mame, Nebula emus :confused:

I'm testing out most of the enhancements you guys are suggesting they all work great too.

I'll do up a review but all I can say is everything is excellent..

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
No need for a review...we know how good it works. :)

c2ironfist

GrandMaster SEXY
montpics said:
/me kicks VampyR out. :p

You can make a review if you want to, c2ironfist. ;)

lol okay sure.. hopefully some one benefits from it.

Funny thing is though I'm still testing out everything trying it on all my computers... to see how it performs on each one.

But so far though its really good..

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
montpics said:
/me kicks VampyR out. :p

You can make a review if you want to, c2ironfist. ;)

/me puts a spell on montpics,he feels dizzy and sleeps dreaming of the best tuak ever.

Now c2ironfist,you do your tests/review but you know eventually you'll say how great this Mame32 Plus! is...and how happy you are to play oldschool games with very cool video enhancements that you didn't find in other versions.

If you want to test more just Google for Mame32 builds,there's plenty of them...even with video enhancements.

montpics

-=VampyR=- said:
/me puts a spell on montpics,he feels dizzy and sleeps dreaming of the best tuak ever.
Thanks for that. The fact that I slept for the whole day dreaming of it. :glare:

Once you done making a review, you can post a new thread on 'Submitted Content Forum'. :)

Why?
>CLICK HERE!< (Lefty mentioned it. All reviews are welcomed. ;) )

hagbard

Teezyboy said:
Is there a build that uses less memory.
Older builds should use less memory, and of course standard baseline MAME does. Newer MAME32 and derivates doesn't use compresseed executables which saves some memory