Technically ePSXe Dumb ...

stelf12

Hi those more experienced than me in ePSXe emulation. I have created a backup iso of my final fantasy vii game but when I try to run iso, just a black screen shows up. I can run it from my cd but no dice from my iso. I feel like I need a boot cd or something to play a backup of my game on my emulator. Is this correct?

I used adripsx and it actually tells you what's wrong when it tries to boot it. It says there is no playstation executable (which a boot disc does for you). Any thoughts or ideas?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Create the .iso with Alcohol 120%,CloneCD or ISOBuster.

stelf12

Is there a reason you have told me and that other post to use that software? I am a computer engineer so I can understand anything technically you through my way. I know that the sony discs has a boot sector that when you copy the games, it does not copy the boot sector. Does the software you list copy them?

stelf12

Oh yeah, also, when I examine the .iso using winrar, is there files that I can look for to check if the .iso was created correctly to run on the epsxe emu?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I didn't know you're a computer engineer.You should have said that in the first place,some people are not only emu-n00bs but also computer-n00bs so I have to use other ways of explaining.

The software I listed are the best,they make exact copies.
Using RAW/DAO copying is the best way to obtain a good disc.

After you make the .iso (or .ccd,.cue,.bin whatever) just mount it with Daemon Tools (fake/virtual drive software) and play the game...or burn it. (burn the .cue file)
You can play the .iso directly from File -> Run ISO.

I assume you will use the best PSX emu...ePSXe.

If I had to choose any of the above listed software it'll be Alcohol 120%,it even has a PlayStation option so it's easy to use...and I think it has a 1 month trial...but it's worth the money.
All my PS2/PSX backups made with Alcohol 120% worked.

Please do not double post use the EDIT function.

Last edited:

stelf12

Danka! This makes sense. Sorry about the double post, I am also a noob forum member (first forum ever).

hagbard

Nero or CdrWin (my personal fav, the best for making CUE-BIN) will do the job too. If the game has CDDA tracks, better mount it (CUE, CDD, MDS, etc) and use a good Cdr plugin like Sapu, Xeven or P.E.Op.S so you won't miss the music tracks. FVII doesn't use CDAA, so you can load directy your image.

montpics

Extra note :
You'd better try on ePSXe, CVGS, Emurayden or PSXeven as these emulators work on swapping CDs. Other emulators failed to do so. :cool:

hagbard

CD swapping on the fly although cool it's not much needed anyway, you can always save the game, quit the emulator, swap discs and start again ;) AFAIK only some multi discs GC games need to swap on the fly (MGS TTS and others I don't remember)

Last edited:

montpics

I tested all PS emulators whether if changing CD works (yeah, many times) and only those emulators given work.
(Only if you are playing multi CD game like Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross etc. :) )

hagbard

I know, I was talking about switching CDs while playing, so if PE or CC need this you're right. FFVII - IX for example, you can always restart the emulator with the next disc when needed ;)

montpics

Unless you need to warp back to the real world from Ultimecia Kingdom in which you need Disc 3 rather than Disc 4. (In FFVIII basically.)

In other words, shoot me. :p