some help...

smartkid

Ok, I "found" a disk image of Toy Commander, an old dreamcast game. But its in cdi format, so I mounted it to a drive with deamon tools and tryed to open it, only to find out windows cant read it. (duh...oops) So im guessing i should use somthing to convert the dreamcast image thats really a cdi image into an iso image. Im downloading achohol 120% right now but I just want to make sure that what im doing or trying to do is right.

Anyway,
thanx,
smartkid

Ok some edits here. Im kinda confused, what format does the emulator run? im using achohol 120 to make the disk to .mds then what am i suppostoo do? mount it or what?

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I think DT can use .cdi images. What happens if you mount it? Just try to run from CD from Chankast.

ghassan

The Explorer Lad
smartkid said:
Ok, I "found" a disk image of Toy Commander, an old dreamcast game. But its in cdi format, so I mounted it to a drive with deamon tools and tryed to open it, only to find out windows cant read it. (duh...oops) So im guessing i should use somthing to convert the dreamcast image thats really a cdi image into an iso image. Im downloading achohol 120% right now but I just want to make sure that what im doing or trying to do is right.

Anyway,
thanx,
smartkid

Ok some edits here. Im kinda confused, what format does the emulator run? im using achohol 120 to make the disk to .mds then what am i suppostoo do? mount it or what?

the best software for creating dreamcast iso's is diskjugler

smartkid

disk jugler ... I just deleted that :( I dident really under stand how to use it. I have so menny CD tools its not funny. Right now I have 12 cd drives, 11 of them are vertuial. Anyway I will try it, thanx guys ill post back soon

EDIT #1:Ok the image is mounted to my drive h:\ so i went into Chankast set the drive to h:\ and then hit File > Start and I got a popup saying this:can't read dc_bios.bin I remimber seeing something about bois when getting this.... so whats that mean?

EDIT #2: Ok found it, downloading it now....

EDIT #3: ok, looking at the bios instructions it would just be easyer to make the CD

Last edited:

smartkid

ok heres my situation, basicly I cant update my BIOS becuse I have the latest version and toshiba bios and it wouldent let me reinstall it.

So I cant run the stupid DC thing. And the emulator wont work. I burned the CD but it wont boot... my thought is that there has got to be an easier way!

someone please help me, im tring to recreate one of the levels in this game for anuther game.

thanx,
smartkid

hagbard

I don't see why you can't "update" the bios, it's just a file, and no instalation it's needed. Are you talking about Chankast, or the real DC hardware?

As for Chankast, you can mount the ISOs with Daemon Tools, no need to burn anything, just make sure you're using this virtual drive on the emulator. If the game it's not self bootable it won't work unless you first mount/insert the Utopia Boot Disc 1.1. Check the thread I've previously post or make a forum search for more info.

smartkid

ok lets get this strait, i downloaded Chankast from here. When i mount the damn image and run Chankast and set it to the correct drive. I hit start nd get this:can't read dc_bios.bin so I lookedup the recquirements for it.

# Pentium 4 with at least 1.6 Ghz
# 256 MB Ram
# Windows XP or 2003 (It won't work under any other Windows)
# Latest DirectX
# Powerful Graphic Card such as Nvidia or Ati
# DC Bios (use search engines to find it)

so i googled DC BIOS and found it. I download the stupid thing and found the installation instructions:

Step 1. Please visit the board maker¡¦s website, download latest BIOS file and
AMI flash utility ¡§AMIFLASH.EXE¡¨. The BIOS file format will be *.ROM, of which
"*" stands for the specific BIOS file name.
Step 2. Create a bootable diskette. Then copy the BIOS file and AMI flash utility
¡§AMIFLASH.EXE¡¨ into the diskette.
Step 3. Insert the diskette into drive A, reboot you system and boot form the diskette.
Step 4. Type AMIFLASH *.ROM and then press <Enter> to run BIOS upgrade program. (*.ROM
depends on your motherboard model and version code. Instead of typing "*" you should
type specific file name for your specific mainboard).
Step 5. When the message "Flash ROM Update Completed-Pass." appears, please restart your
system.
Step 6. You will see a message ¡§CMOS Memory Size Wrong ¡¨ during booting the system. Please
<Del> or <F1> to run CMOS setup utility, then reload ¡§Load Optimal Defaults¡¨ and
save this change.

So I call toshiba to fin d to site with the Fn driver and finially find it. Then it doesent let me upgrade it becuse its the same version. So I call the guy backl and he tells me i cant do it.

SO NOW WHAT?!?!? again there HAS GOT to be an easyer way...

hagbard

As I suspected before, this is NOT a DreamCast BIOS dump, but some PC BIOS, so it's useless for Chankast, and of course Toshiba has nothing to do with it. And the most important, don't follow that instructions as you might have to trash your PC motherboard.

Search again, the file names are:

dc_bios.bin
dc_flash.bin -> There're 3 version of this one, oneper region (US, Europe, Japan)

Last edited:

smartkid

hehe, warez arnt new to me, how do you think i got the rom to start with. anyway DC_Bios.bin and DC_flash.bin are basicially non existant exept for the people that have it. Im guessing someone has majorly sewed some one that hosted it. Anyway I know if I ask anyone for it this topic will get locked (from other locked topics). Anyway i guess all i can do is beg someone that has this damn thing for it . . . This is kinda stupid if you ask me, I have downloaded major 1000+$ software and found plenty of sources for it, and heres some tiny free 2MB thing that every server it ""was"" on is down or has a broken link. I mean everything, BitTorrent, FileTopia, LimeWire, cant find it on google at all (at least not on the first 6 pages!) . . . . . . .

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
smartkid said:
hehe, warez arnt new to me, how do you think i got the rom to start with. anyway DC_Bios.bin and DC_flash.bin are basicially non existant exept for the people that have it.

Search harder... ;)

smartkid

-=VampyR=- said:
Search harder... ;)

trust me iv tried, im sure there is a DL out there somewhere but I am catching hell to find it

So heres what im going to do I cant find these files, so im going to post my email here for """""no particular reason""""" and who knows, just maybe someone will send me a nice email. wink, wink, couth, nudge...

-

BTW for any mod / admin no where in the rules does it say i cant post my email, so :p

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Remove the addy...that's asking BIOS.

smartkid

Thanx so much, ok I have the DC's now, but yet anuther problem, (i know you guys are getting tired of me by now) Whenever i run the rom, with all 3 IO interfaces i get a popup saying this:

iocontrole: error

any ideas? I see that deamon toolls has some emulation options: safedisk, srcurom, laserlock and RMPS

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
You have a non self-boot disc image.

Or it is modified,that's why you get that error.

Non self-boot disc images DO NOT work in Chankast.

Last edited:

smartkid

im prety sure it said it was a boot disk, leme check

This is a text doc in the rar file i downloaded with the rom in it:

Game made selfboot by Caboose using bin2boot.

http://www.dcforums.co.uk/

DCF - Dreams that never die.

So, would this possibly have something to do with deamon tools or the .cdi format? Anyway is it possible to make it the correct way for chankast to work?

some more food for thought, this is from the other doc file thing:

| =========================================================================|
| SPECIAL NOTE: |
| All music has been ripped from this game FOR A REASON. Like Snow Surfers |
| the music for this game is done with CDDA, not file-streamed audio. For |
| whatever reason, it is not possible for cracked DC games to playback |
| CDDA audio when using Utopia's Boot Loader v1.1. If CDDA playback |
| becomes available in the future you can expect updates from us! And a |
| message to those who scream that other releases have CDDA. Listen, "This |
| is a Dreamcast disc..." ;)
|
`------------------------------------------------------- - - - - ----'

what exactly does that last line mean?

Im confused, am i supostoo have a deamcast disk or does someone have to make it into a rom?!?

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Search on the web for Dreamcast tutorials on how to make a self-boot disk.

hagbard

I don't think it's a boot problem. If you're using "CD-ROM interface ASPI", try "CD-ROM interface XXX" ("Plugins" -> "Configure"), otherwise install ForceASPI and try with the first oiption again.

Sometimes using another "dc_flash.bin" helps, because are likely to be region dependant.
If still doesn't work, I'd try this:
"Control Panel" -> "Administration Tools" -> "Local security policies" -> "Local policies" -> disable "Devices - restrict CD-ROM acces to current user"

Quoted from some PM made by me xD