MAME upgraded problems

Mantronix

Hi I'm kinda new to emulators. My friend gave me a DVD containing a MAME emulator and 4 gigs of rom. I recently upgraded from MAME32 v0.58 to MAME v0.105u1. Alot of the roms that was working with the v0.58 does not work with the v0.105u1. When I try to run the roms like Gauntlet 1 or 2 I get an error stating some files are missing with the v0.105u1 but the v.0.58 there are no errors. Any ideas why is this happening?

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
MAME ROMs change often. It is possible that ROMs are getting dumped/redumped or renamed. The best thing you can do is download ClrMame, read the tutorial here and rebuild your old ROMs in a new directory. In this way you will get the correct sets for the latest MAME. You will miss a lot files, since the complete MAME set is around 12GB (excluding the CHDs, which are another >35GB).
Good luck :)

hagbard

The official MAME FAQ has the answer:
I upgraded to the latest MAME version, and now some of my ROMs don't work.

As MAME evolves, its emulation of existing games improves. This often means that more files from the original games' ROMs are necessary, or that a correct dump of a previously badly dumped ROM has surfaced. Some of these files may not have been included in the ROMs' previous distributions, or you may have deleted some of them when you merged your ROMsets.

Therefore, you can (a) stay with the previous version of MAME; or (b) find updated ROMs to use with the new MAME.
Welcome here BTW