[NextGen] Nintendo Revolution

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Yes...Nintendo Revolution is mostly for old-gamers and kids,but the company wants to get more and more people that never played a videogame in their lives to join the fun.

I am checking news about Satoru Iwata's keynote at GDC 2006 as we speak.
He talked about the different aproach Nintendo has to gaming,Wi-Fi and the success of DS.

Biggest news up until now: Iwata announced that games developed for the SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx console will also be playable on Nintendo Revolution.

He said the most important thing is still to be told (not what you think). The "most important story" is how developers will work with the new consoles. Huge amounts of money are needed to market games and create titles. He elaborated on Nintendo's desire to do something different. He said Nintendo understands the importance of graphics and games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid will all look better than ever. Those will not be the only types of games though. He stressed innovation yet again. He said in a few weeks we will all play and see what he means.

Nintendo DS will get its Zelda title,and it will be cell-shaded.You will use the touch screen to draw things.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Nintendo Revolution will be fully playable at E3 2006.Just a few weeks left.
The keynote was over 5 minutes ago.No other N.Revolution details revealed.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Nintendo specs revealed by IGN
Just a little bit more powerful than an xbox. :(
* The "Broadway" CPU: 729MHz (approximately the same speed as the original Xbox)
* The "Hollywood" GPU: 243MHz (again, very close to the power of the original Xbox) with 3MBs of texture memory
* RAM: 88MBs, which breaks down to 24MBs of main 1T-SRAM and 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM, which one developer notes "can be accessed as quickly as the main RAM, which is nice." The original Xbox, in continuing with teh comparison, had 64MBs of total RAM.

With these kind of specs...Nintendo has all its money on the "wand/controller" thingy...
The Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that also power the GameCube. The Revolution's IBM "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz (the GameCube Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz). The Revolution GPU, the ATI "Hollywood" chip, clocks in at 243MHz (the GameCube GPU ran at 162MHz), and will feature 3MB of texture memory. IGN says it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shaders. The Rev uses 24MB of "main" 1T-SRAM with an additional 64MB of "external" 1T-SRAM (total system RAM is 88MBs not including the 3MB GPU texture buffer). GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM (again, not counting the GPU's on-board 3MB). This "external" RAM can be accessed just as quickly as the main RAM.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Butters said:
And what? Gameplay is more important :D
It is Butters...but when Sony will take games to a new level (visually) I don't think I can play Nintendo after playing some really nextgen graphics...like the future MGS or GT.
I mean it'll be only for first party titles I played as a kid.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
cloud4004 said:
What I've been saying for years...
No matter how innovative gameplay FIST (ZX Spectrum) might have...still can't compete with SVC Chaos (NeoGeo/PS2/xbox).
That's my point...We can talk about gameplay on similar systems like PS2/xbox/GC....but N.Rev/PS3 is too much of a difference.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
cloud4004 said:
All the Snk vs Capcom games are fun... :happy:
BTW...did you know that the Metal Slug series is coming to PSP (6 games) ?
SNK Playmore USA Corporation announced today that in celebration of the 10th Anniversary of their classic arcade franchise, Metal Slug, they will be releasing the greatest array of Metal Slug titles ever assembled for the PSP system in fall 2006. The Metal Slug Collection will feature six great Metal Slug titles from the past on one UMD. Included in the collection will be Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, and Metal Slug 5.

The Metal Slug Collection will be perfect translations of the arcade classics and feature Wireless support for intense two-player action.
Wireless 2 player mode included.
Sorry for the off-topic.

cloud4004

-=VampyR=- said:
BTW...did you know that the Metal Slug series is coming to PSP (6 games) ?
Yep, 1-5 & X... I can imagine they'd be fun to play on a portable system. Too bad I'm not in the market for a PSP.

Last edited: