The Ultimate Emulator Project

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I read your post but I wanted to remind the guy the "basics" to say so...

sugarego

ok, so here's what i'm wondering: are you a programmer? clearly age alone wouldn't prevent someone from developing a killer program (look at firefox) and especially when you're 16 and you have possibly 2 years or so before you have to be responsible and pay your own bills and all that, you may just have more time, energy, and enthusiasm than any of the older peeps, which could greatly offset the lack of experience.

if you're not a programmer, you do realize you're essentially the client, asking a group of skilled programmers to put in lots of time and energy, making an excellent piece of software to all your specifications, but for free! not to say it wouldn't work out lovely if some people needed the enthusiasm of a youngster to gather them all together in one place and were already thinking of doing something like that.

but don't be surprised if people are like, whoa dude, that's a tall order, no way. i always turn down jobs immediately for small website projects and the like from friends and their friends because the projects are always so much more work than you ever expect, and your friends are sooo nice when they ask you to change/update/improve just *one* more thing, and you can't resist because you're so nice, and then by the end you're getting like $2/hr for your work, and you're glad you made them happy, but you're worn out. this project you describe is a thousand-fold more involved, and pays even less.

at the end, you won't have something that didn't exist, you'd just have something that works better and is easier to set up, which would make people happy, but for all that time and energy, why not completely develop your own thing? like a new game that runs on the old platforms, or maybe even figuring out how all the current game/emulator combos are buggy, and writing up really excellent and comprehensive documentation for all the platforms, so no one will have the troubles you had setting up?

i know that if i was 16 again, and could put in two years on a project and was really into games, i would rather work on my own piece of creativity! and if you're not a programmer, now's a good time to start learning! you only get those last two years at home once in your life, so choose wisely. you're old enough to do something meaningful in the world, can handle sleep deprivation better than at any other age, and you have the opportunity to put something cool in your portfolio by the time you head off to college.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
sugarego...you're right.But the guy has dreams...

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
i think he meant "using emulators since 7"
NOT writing and authoring emulators ;)
you gotta know programming if you wish to succeed on this.

sugarego said:
agree(on some parts) if you[HE] wish to learn programming, do it as early as possible
its like teaching a kid how to ride a bike without training wheels, anyways,
i think you should have gon easy on him dude :p

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
my two pennies.

.. Ok one program to do it all, well ya sure its possible, but you would need a lot of menus. its would be an OS in its self. I mean all the power to you, It would be nice. but booting a sega cd it not like booting an pce cd. and running a n64 joy stick app is not going to be similar to sega? You would need a configuration page for each emu so that in its self kills the idea. You would be better off creating an emu-OS. Personally I want all my emulation needs in one place like the idea you have. Fortunately for me its exists... Qucickplay. on the left I have my systems and the right I have my games, and I double click and poofff, its does it all. Not only that but I designed my own switch box for my joysticks n64/atari/snes/nes/psx for now. But if you pull its off its worth it just to see it run.

pearl jamed

The One Winged Angel
Sounds like A sick idea but I just play. I'm just a guy who is reliving the 80's and 90's. I don't even how to work some emulators. :( sorry dude.

egg

I think you're aiming just a little too high for your first project. Why don't you start with something simple, like an Atari 2600 emulator with a halfway decent GUI??

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

egg said:
I think you're aiming just a little too high for your first project. Why don't you start with something simple, like an Atari 2600 emulator with a halfway decent GUI??

that might be good but it depends upon the person... :)

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
egg said:

As if an 2600 emulator is that simple. If the games look simple, that doesn't mean programming an emulator for it is...

jv9

egg said:

As alcoatjez said, it isn't easy as it involves complicated reverse engineering..and the best way to start your programming is to do the classic hello world and not emulators ;)

DrAkeNgaRd_KneLL

egg said:

maybe try emulating a brick game? emulating could be difficult...:)

egg

alcoatjez said:
As if an 2600 emulator is that simple. If the games look simple, that doesn't mean programming an emulator for it is...
It was just an example you dolt. You'll have to excuse me of 2600 emulators aren't the easiest out there. The basic premise is that he should start out small, and then work his way up.

Now, do you have anything useful to add to the discussion, or are you just here to nitpick?

hagbard

I think he wasn't that harsh, isn't it egg? :glare: It's OK if you don't to like his opinion, but your "qualifications" weren't necessary. You have been warned

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
egg said:
Now, do you have anything useful to add to the discussion, or are you just here to nitpick?

I just corrected something you said. So IMHO it IS adding soemthing to the discussion. I can't program myself, but I know enough about it that I understand emulator programming is very difficult.

Teemah

yeah, the same as everyone else said...good luck with your plan. hope it works!

heheh for some reason this reminds me of some RPG......

(shadow angle leveled up! learned emu creation!)

TheCreator

To celebrate my 100th post, there's no need to bump up an old thread, and if you read the topic you may be aware of the problems with the ultimate emu project.

Taipan

i was lookin up info on the PS3 n XBox 360 and i read about the new nintendo system is spose to have emulators back to nes on it(all nintendo) and they have to top 10 emulation programers in the world on it....dono if it is bullsh!t or not but i cant see why not....as they would have the money and proly would have the most emulators and roms out there.....snes....

Xiedo

I heard that, too although I heard it was definite... one of the reasons they designed the controller they way they did. The only thing that I don't know is what games will be available (Nintendo only or not) and how much the games will cost. Knowing Ninty it could be $5 or more for a single NES game.

DudeJustDoIT

Lifeless pain...
Well i hear that for awhile they will only put out nintendo titles untill they either contract with Square and Capcom, n EA and the others or just buy out the specific game titles individually. I hope it is soon after though because i want ALOT of games other than Nintendo... Since the games are going to be emulated i wonder if there will be a way to take the ROMs we have and transfer them. :D

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
NES, SNES, N64, PC-Engine and Genesis ROMs will be available. Of course not all of them, since Nintendo has to have permission (read: contract) to do this.