Nyxem.E Virus will Strike Tomorrow.

Jale

An alert has been sounded for Friday, when a computer virus that mostly comes in as a deceptive-looking attachment and uses the mail address of the targeted system to spreading further, is expected to disrupt systems.

"Since this virus (categorised as a mass mailing worm) was not detected earlier it may have already landed in your system long back and will remain dormant. The virus starts attacking on 3rd of every month starting from February 3rd of 2006," says Stanley Rakesh, an entrepreneur running Fire Antivirus, a Chennai-based software company.

Computer security company F-Secure said on its website that the virus has several names, with the main identity being Nyxem.E It has the following aliases: W32.Blackmal.E@mm, Email-Worm.Win32.Nyxem.e, W32/MyWife.d@MM, Kama Sutra.

The following data was released by Fire on the new threat:

Attack: The nature of the virus is destructive and will attack files with extension .doc , .pdf , .xls , .zip , .ppt , ...etc. This will also attack antivirus applications making the system more vulnerable for future attacks.

Characteristics: It contains its own SMTP engine and spreads through shared network and mass mailing. It attacks Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP systems.

Risk Level: Distribution - High ; Destruction : High

Preventive Measure:

All machines should be updated and scanned individually.

Do not open any attachment file at least for the next two days.

System date can be forwarded.

Important files like .doc , .xls , .zip .pdf can be renamed. All data should be backed up.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Bad virus...killing .zip roms...

onewecallgod

i suppose if you're dumb enough to download and execute a suspicious attachment, you deserve to be infected.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Install an antivirus(there are several free ones) and keep it's database updated. Problem solved.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
People who are well protected (AV and firewall) and surf and mail wise shouldn't have any problems. Mmm, about 200GB of zipped stuff on my PC, so it better not strike me... Thanks for the info, Butters :)

Phantom69

i use avast and my AV is up to date, as far as i know i have not been affected, i have not received any emails from unkowns and am working fine thankfully, knock on wood.

thanx for the heads up, but i think the warning has passed now.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
All unknown mails are deleted by me...I don't even try to open them ;)
Someone will have to be VERY stupid to run an .exe file or other received in mail from unknown sources..

hagbard

montpics said:
Luckilly I don't have an internet connection (YET!) for my home.
I'm not sure if that's good at all :p

hagbard

alcoatjez said:
So you're infecting your work PC right now? :p
Not a bad idea if you ask me :D