Snes controller to USB

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
HI!
Is it possible,to attach a SNES controller cable to a USB cable?
I mean cut the cord of the SNES,then the same with my old Genius PC joypad and somehow link them ? :confused:

I know about these,but I wanna know about cable (SNES) to cable (Genius USB)...:happy:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
In order to use your snes on a computer you need the programmable usb chip that is in side those converters, along with other components. The cable its self is not enough. You could how ever put the elections in the game pad its self and then connect the usb cable to that circuit board. I could help you with that. I have done many, let me know.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Thanks for answering ulaoulao !!
The cable its self is not enough. You could how ever put the elections in the game pad its self and then connect the usb cable to that circuit board. I could help you with that. I have done many, let me know.
You mean connect/solder the USB cable from Genius gamepad to the SNES circuit board ?Do you have any links/screenshots on how to do it properly ?
I know you've done it many times but I might not understand exactly what you mean and I might need some pictures...lots of wires :D

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
not really.. You need to get the circuit board out of a usb2pc converter. There are components in there that you will need.

you need 3 things.

a snes joystick
a usb cable (any one will do), (you dont needs the sega one)
a usb2pc converter to hack apart.

if you have this Ill give you the schem/diagram

***update***
I read your first post again, I think I don't follow you. I thought you wanted to get a usb cable connected to the snes directly with out a converter. But now I'm thinking you want to connect the to joysticks together. That I don't follow, what do you want. Please explainer another way.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Shoot..I don't have an usb2pc converter to hack apart :)
I hoped that I can connect them directly in a way,I'm no electronics-wizkid...
So,there's no other way...:(
Thx for the replies.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Yep...you're right.
Hehe...I guess the Genius pad,kinda escaped death... :D

hagbard

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Thanks for the links but it's Genius gamepad,not Genesis,I rarely make a typo.
ulaoulao...you're a gamepad mod master I think :D

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Thanks,I know that site from long ago ;)
Not even these...you should've read my first post in the thread.

Cheetah

Hmm, I guess I misunderstood what you're looking for..Are you just trying to make your SNES controller have a male USB adapter on the end instead of an SNES controller plug? Or are you trying to make the game pad have the SNES plug instead of USB? I guess I'm a little confused..

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Are you just trying to make your SNES controller have a male USB adapter on the end instead of an SNES controller plug?
Correct.But I gave up the idea.

Cheetah

That'll do it ;). I've emailed RetroUSB a few times with questions about their products, and they're very helpful. The route I'm thinking of going is getting SNES extension cords and cutting those and turning them into USB, installing them inside my computer case and cutting holes for the plugs. Sort of hard to explain, but in the end the ports should mount flush with the front of my computer's case, then I can use the same controller for emus or hooking up to SNES (assuming I could even find mine.. :p) Plus, I think the novelty of having SNES and N64 ports on the front of your computer and having your friends constantly look at it and say 'what the....?' would be unbeatable.

Genome

north west south west
Cheetah said:
I think you're looking for something like this?

hmm thats my line. (my snes usb is currently in the mailing system on its way to my hands)

the thing is pbdyzian (hope thats right =-/) that even if you gut your snes controller and put that one in it. it wont have exactly the same sensitivity. plus im wondering if the board will match the button configuration or if ulalalhah (not even close im sure) wants to just pull the usb chip off and stick it on the snes board.

Last edited:

-=VampyR=-

Immortal