Recommended processor speed for Mame32?

journeyfan1977

As an experiment, I tried running my Mame32 games on my brother's old Windows 98 computer and they will barely open. My mom's pc isn't much better (Windows 98). What is the minimum processor speed to run Mame32 and NES games too? I assume that a Windows 98 computer just aint gonna cut the mustard. I have a 2.5 ghz Dell and all the games run great. How much lower can you go below that before you have slow running games?

-Keith

hagbard

This is strongly dependent on want games you want play on that computer. Older ones like Pacman need very low system requeriments but later 90's like some CPS2 or NeoGeo need higher specs, and newer Midway, Namco or Sega games very high CPU power. For example, about CPS2 and NeoGeo, a PIII ~600 Mhz (or even PII) with 128Mb RAM should be enough for most games.

Last edited:

journeyfan1977

Ok, well let me ask this. The Mortal Kombat and Streetfighter games would require at least how much processor speed and memory? Does Windows have anything to do with how well they run...meaning if you have XP vs. 2000 are they gonna run better or is all about CPU speed and memory?

-Keith

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I could already run the SF games on my old PII 266Mhz with 256MB RAM. The MK games were slow on that one, but I think they should run on a ~600-800 Mhz PC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

hagbard

alcoatjez said:
I could already run the SF games on my old PII 266Mhz with 256MB RAM. The MK games were slow on that one, but I think they should run on a ~600-800 Mhz PC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree, CPS-1/2 games would even run on a lower than that, with Kawaks, Nebula or FBA, for example. Most NeoGeo games would run with similar specs, but with raster effects on, it would need about a ~800 Mhz CPU at least

Last edited: