V-Rally 2 trouble

Curunir

I've been trying to get V-Rally 2 to run with ePSXe for quite some time now. I even asked on another emulation forum but it didn't really help.

When I load the image, it boots, I create a driver profile, select car and gamemode and just when the game is about to load the track, it hangs.

I get a loading screen and a heartbeat sound loops over and over but that's it.

I tried using several different graphics plugins but it didn't help any.
Are there any game listings with per-game specific setting configs or something of the kind?

It'd be really nice if any of you guys could help me out here because I'm a very big rally fan and even though VR2 isn't precisely realistic or anything, it's a fine game.

Thanks in advance!

Curunir

Right, made a small step forward and ground to a halt again.

I updated to the very latest version of Pete's OpenGL plugin (v2.8) and i got some missing graphics from the loading screen of V-Rally 2 - under the Loading text, an animation of an electrocardiogram is played (hence the heartbeat sound). What troubles me is that the game still doesn't load and it doesn't crash either. The animation and sound both keep looping over and over.

I also discovered the CD was mixed mode data/audio. Does this require some special approach to run?

What pisses me off even more is that ePSXe compatibility lists say that V-Rally 2 runs at 100%. :angry:

hagbard

Play with higher Framebuffer values on the GPU plugin menu

Curunir

It didn't help but anyway, thanks for your time.

The more I fiddle with it, the more I think it's a CD Audio-related problem. The game doesn't hang or crash, it stays at the looping loading animation. I think it might be trying to bite into a CD track for music. Then again, I have music at the initial menu screen.

Weird crap...

hagbard

If it is, I'd either try to make an ISO to play from it or use a good CDr plugin like peops or sapu. You'll need to well config it anyway

montpics

Don't have that title but it surely works on other games with audio sound.

Dead or Alive
Castlevania : Symphony of The Night
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Wipeout 3

Speaking of it, can u state your plugins and PC specs?

Curunir

I tried pretty much every plugin that's not in early alpha development. The best reslts I got with Pete's OpenGL 2.8, Eternal SPU and PEOpS for CD-ROM plugin. And by best results I mean I got the loading cardiogram animation to display.

As for my PC, it's a Celeron 1.2ghz, Gforce 2 64mb, 256 DDR ram, onboard SiS sound chip.

I tried a couple of other emulators too and the loading loop behaviour is absolutely the same in AdriPSX which worried me. I'm pretty sure the CD image isn't bad. It was made with CloneCD if that's of any importance.

hagbard

montpics said:
Don't have that title but it surely works on other games with audio sound.

Dead or Alive
Castlevania : Symphony of The Night
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Wipeout 3

Speaking of it, can u state your plugins and PC specs?
Did you mean CDDA tracks? CSOTN have only one "hidden" audio track not used on th game, the music it's in XA format

hagbard

So I guess you got it working. Would be nice to know how you did it

montpics

hagbard said:
Did you mean CDDA tracks? CSOTN have only one "hidden" audio track not used on th game, the music it's in XA format
Yup. I'm not very sure for that game yet. (I'm always forgot!) :p

Curunir

It involved dirty dirty cracking work. But then again, the patch is at ngemu's ppf patch section so I guess it's not horrible piracy. The CD was protected and needed a little Paradox encouragement to work in an emulator, if you know what I mean :D

hagbard

Yeah, I know what you mean, to tell you the truth I first checked ngemu looking for that PPF, but I guees I didn't search deep enough. :p
Btw, No problem about link that patches, actually I made it many times ;)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
try not to post in threads that are long dead, all except one of those users have been on within the last year. :)