64bit os/cpu question.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I'm just wondering if any one has tried running emulators in general, on a 64bit os/cpu. This will be my next upgrade. And I need to know if I should install the 64bit os or run a 32bit with dual emulated cpu's. The main focus on the system is emulators, that's all its for. So if any one knows of any emulators at all that dont support 64bit os/cpus please let me know. I'm not conserned with PC games, just emulators.Thx.

onewecallgod

if all you're going to do is play with emulators, there's really no reason to have a 64bit OS...unless you plan on doing it with some crazy distro of linux on Itaniums

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well I do need to upgrade my chip. And some emulators require the sse2. Most of whats out there is 64 bit now anyways. I would think running xp32 would be fine for now also. If the 64bit os wont cause any problem, then why not I'm sure there are advantages. But if its more trouble then its wort Ill keep my 32 bit XP. I may end up dual booting for now. Just looking for any experience any one had.

onewecallgod

XP64 can be a pain in the ass, but it also might not. your mileage may vary. for someone who doesnt use 64bit software, you won't see an improvement. if you're the geeky type who wants to try out the new OS and has no problem with troubleshooting for hours, go for it, but if you're the type who wants the OS to just work, stick with something tried and true.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I figured the 64bit had some advantages for emulator, but I have gathered from what you said that this is not true. This helps thus far. One more question for you. If I get a 64bit cpu and install a 32bit os. As I understand it, it shows as 2 cpu's. I know some mame builds support this, but I'm of the opinion its not really worth it. I'm guessing most emulators wont use two cpu's or even need it. It may be best to get the best 32bit cpu money can buy, instead of a 64bit? This is also a in an effort to predict the new trends comming about.

onewecallgod

the fact that its a 64bit CPU does not necessarily mean it will show up as two. for example, the Pentium 4 6** and D series, which are the only intel CPUs that support 64bit extensions (other than Itanium), will show up as two because it the P4 has HT, which acts as a crippled 2nd CPU on the same die, whereas the P-D has a whole 'nother CPU core on the same die. the AMD 64bit Semprons and Athlon 64s (excluding the X2 because those are dual core and will show up as 2 CPUs) will only show up as 1 CPU.

no emulator that i can think of supports multithreading, so multiprocessing won't help. AMD and intel have since moved all their production to 64bit CPUs, so their low end chips and high end chips have it.

are you looking to upgrade? want suggestions?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I will stick with amd. And basically I'm going to get a new board an chip. Since like you said, and I have read."AMD and intel have since moved all their production to 64bit CPUs", I will have little choice but to get a 64bit.

I will be putting a Linux 64bit os on my personal system along with winxp. But I have a dedicated Computer for emulation that need more power. Its going to be AMD, just wanted to make sure a 64bit CPU wont cause me troubles. If you have any suggestions t'words emulation I would be happy to here it.