Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC graphics question

Or if you're not comfortable with building your own, at least buy a Dell or something. Compaqs are terrible, almost as bad as eMachines.

Jet Set Willy

Don't buy a Dell.

Yes, please no Dell. You pay them, and they no longer care after that. I've seen one too many horrid things in reference to Dell, including terrible shipping/billing problems. eMachines used to be rather poor, but I believe since a year ago or two, they are under new management, and it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Jet Set Willy

The Dell computers are pretty cack, too.

i wouldn't buy a dell regularly but they have all these promotions running and always have some coupons and free shipping and a bunch of other incentives that I would consider buying one, if i didn't build one myslef.

Crazed Poster

even with all those promotions, i think i could still build an equivilent box for much cheaper and possibly much better
    I hate all of you, especially donkeyknob.

HP isn't a bad computer. Perhaps now that they own Compaq we will see a better Compaq.
    Fun, nerdy videos: Fancy Teeth

HP (now including compaq) sucks, they have horrible tech support, the machines are built with the worst parts, and they consume about 10 gig of your hard drive with non-sense software most of which is Trial software lasting for about 30 days(or in some cases less) they make a cumbersome machine and thier great software allows you to make 1 backup of your harddrive.... only one.

I hate to say it, E-machine or Sony at this point, if you must buy a premade computer, or hell go to tiger direct, even those have to be better than HP or Dell(I refuse to comment on Dell, as everyone else already has).

As to the video cards, no matter how you look at it, the more memmory, and the faster the clock the better the capabilities. A GF 4 256M will likely outperform a GF FX 128M when you crank the resolution up and break out 4x FSAA, Anisotropic(or however its spelled) Filtering, and Tripple Buffering.... its a sad fact of life, but doing that at say 1280x1024 res will take tons of video memmory....

Jet Set Willy

Tons? 5MB at 32 bit colour...

now start adding the textures, and 4x FSAA, and please note that the textures start requiring more memmory as they get bigger as well

--correction--

More complex textures will require more memory

Thread Information