PLEASE HELP! ultrahle

minfingr

hi. I just downloaded and installed ultrahle and I edited the rom and save path in the .ini file, as told, and when I try to open the emu, it won't open. it won't do anything. It's like I didn't do anything. Could someone help me out? maybe there's a step I'm missing. thanks a lot.

hagbard

I don't know which UltraHLE version you're using, but unless you need to use the original 3DFX because of low PC specs, better switch to Project64. You might use a Glide wraper if that's the case. More info and emulators here

Last edited:

minfingr

It's not that big a deal. I've been using 1964 and it works good for a few games. but I need a better emu. is ultrahle better than 1964 for games like killer instinct gold or 1080? Will any emulator play KI:Gold decent? my pc has 1gb of ram and a 256 NVidia, so graphics aren't a problem.

Last edited:

hagbard

So definitely go with Project64, and use the Jabo's and Rice video plugins, some games work better than others with each plugin.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
minfingr, I think I know your problem.

if your ultraHLE is in a dirrectory with a space take it out.

ex: c:\program files\ultrahle

put it in a folder like c:\games\ultrahle

it has a bug that hates spaces...

minfingr

I have it in C:\n64\games so spaces aren't it. I'll give project 64 a try. where do I get the plugins? thanks

Last edited:

minfingr

oh the plugins already there.

I just have 2 more questions. How do you load your saved game or state save? the manual won't say, and there's nothing in the menu's except restore, but that doesn't do it. Any help... thanks a lot.

and is there a button to speed up the gameplay? so I can skip the dialogue. 1964 has one, but I can't find one on this one.

project64 works a lot better by the way (except for the loading saves). Thanks.

Last edited:

hagbard

No problem, let's go:
minfingr said:
How do you load your saved game or state save? the manual won't say, and there's nothing in the menu's except restore, but that doesn't do it. Any help... thanks a lot.
Project64 1.6 User manual -> Using Project 64 -> Saving and loading game progress:
State Saves

In addition to emulating the native save types, Project64 is also capable of saving the entire state of itself - everything that it needs to know to recreate an exact point in time during the emulation of a particular game.

can be broken down into two types:

slot saves ("Quick Save")
named saves ("Save As..."
A game saved and loaded in this way does not "know" that it has been saved and loaded - it is as if the interruption never happened. This is clearly something quite different to what you can do a real N64. This is called "state saving", the resulting file is a "state save" or "saved state", and will be relatively large compared to a native save file.

State save files will not be compatible with other N64 emulators unless they explicitly support the Project64 state save file format (at the time of writing, several do). It is worth noting that a state save file will also save any errors that may have occurred and be present in the memory of the emulator, and for this reason, state saves are generally less reliable than native saves, especially over a long period of time playing.

To provide you with more flexibility in state saving, a number of "slots" are provided. A "slot" is simply a number, which is associated with a particular keyboard key so that you can select the file with a single button press. The advantage of slots is that you save switch between quickly, the disadvantage is that you might have trouble remembering what you put in each slot! Every game has its own independent set of 11 slots, so don't worry about one game overwriting another.

Save As... just means you can choose a filename and location for your state save file. This is good when you finish a session and want to make a note of where you were in the game.

It is normal for the system to pause for a short while while generating, compressing and writing the save file. The quicker your system, the shorter the pause.

Next question:
minfingr said:
and is there a button to speed up the gameplay?
PJ64 User manual -> Troubleshooting -> Speed:
Troubleshooting speed problems
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing to understand is what speed to expect from Project64 - as a rough guide, the following specifications should be just fast enough for each game at full speed with the default configuration:
Emulator core

2. disable the speed limiter (!)
How? Either Project 64 menu "System" -> "Limit FPS" , or press <F4> to enable/disable

minfingr

yeah but does it say anywhere how to actually load your state save?? I don't see it. It's ok, I figured it out. you press F5 to save and F7 to load. But the manual and program itself doesn't show you that. you have to go to restore. You can't load a specific slot like other emulators. Thanks for the help though.

hagbard

Well, I guess if you understand how it saves, to know how load load looks pretty easy, don't you? :p

And yes, you can change the state slots like most emulators, press from <0> to <9> keys, or use the menu "System" -> "Current save state" to choose anyone. It's also possible with "System" -> "Save as" and "System" -> "Load As". It's documented btw ;)

Last edited:

minfingr

The system menu in the version I have (version 1.6) doesn't have "load as". Just reset, pause, save, restore, current save state (with slots), cheats, GS Button. No load as or anything. But I figured it out. No worries. Thanks.

hagbard

Save as..., Load...
pj64.jpg