Spyro: Year Of The Dragon Help!!

Lost-Prophet

I'm having Problems using Spyro: Year Of The Dragon (PAL) with ePSXe. When you start a new game, all the ports work fine accept for the ones where you don't play Spyro (eg. The Kangaroo). When you go through one of those ports I recieve an opcode error. What's even worse is after you go into one of those non-spyro ports, none of the ports work after (Including the main levels), even if you start a new game :fuckyou: :excl: :fuckyou: ! I'm using the very latest ePSXe and have tried all sorts of plugins and settings and nothing works! I've also tried other emulators, but they're far to buggy and unplayable (Using one I couldn't even get past the menu screen). I've updated all drivers etc and still no luck. If someone who plays the game and has it working could send me the EXACT settings they use so I could test it on my system. To play the game I use an image of the disc in the .IMG format and point ePSXe to it (not using virtual drive)

Computer Sepcs:
Windows XP SP2 (Not pn the internet)
CoolerMaster 530
Tagan 480WATT PSU
ECS KN1 Extreme (nForce 4ULTA, PCI-Express, Latest BIOS)
AMD Athlon 64 3800GHZ+ (2.4GHZ, Venice Core, Skt 939)
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS PCI
X850XT PE 256MB PCI-Express
200GB SATA

Last edited:

hagbard

Spyro 3 (Year of the Dragon) is protected, so you need a ppf patch to play the it correctly. Get it here.
You two options of using this file btw:

A) apply it directly (make a back first!) with ppf-o-matic to the IMG (actually a .bin image)

B) Use the auto patch feature of ePSXe: Unzip the PPF on the ePSXe "patches" subfolder, then rename it eactlly as the executable file of the game. It should be named like this, on the root folder in the CD: SCES_#.### or SLES_#.### (replace each # for the corresponding number)

Lost-Prophet

Yay! Thansk v.much for the help, I'll go check it out, thanks!

EDIT: I don't understand how to apply the PPF. Do I just name it to exactly the same name as the img file, so if the image file is called Spryo3 I would put the PPF in the patch directory and name it Spyro3

Last edited:

hagbard

No, you need to open or emulate the ISO image (your .img file) with Daemon Tools, then look at the root folder of this virtual drive. You'll find a file called SCES_#.### or SLES_#.### (replace each # for the corresponding number) -> Rename it like this file, and place it on the "patches" subfolder of ePSXe

Lost-Prophet

Cheers, I'll go give it ago! :D

How do I know whether it has patched successfully

The file on the disc was called SCES_028.35 , and I renamed the .PPF SCES_028.35, is that right (sorry, question mark key damaged)

Ok, the first time I loaded it I got:

X = Pal O = NTSC

After running the virtual drive with the "patch" I get a thing saying:
B.A.D
Best amiga dominators
presents
-----------
SPYRO 3
---------
Company: Scee
Patch: LC2 -REMOVED-

Now there's a giant B and my computer has gone really slow

The sound is looping and it's AWFULLY slow,

Last edited:

hagbard

The rename It's right because the patch it's loaded, but looks to be not so compatible, perhaps a little bug in this ePSXe feature. I'd make a copy of your game image, then apply the PPF with ppf-o-matic 3. Left the "original" image untouched and run this patched one.