Mortal Kombat 1,2,& 3 sound issues

journeyfan1977

I have Mortal Kombat 1,2,&3 and all of them have low sound. I have to turn my computer speakers half way up to get the equivalent of 1/4 of the way up on all my other games. Why is this? Mine aren't choppy fortunately, as I've had that problem before...just not loud enough. Can this be fixed? I messed with the audio latency thing but it didn't help. Anybody?

-Keith

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
First...HELLO!
What you need to do is hit F2 (default mame config) and you'll see a menu.Go to where the sound settings are and change volume by pressing up.(it's a huge red bar)
I assumed you use mame32.The latency meter is there only to fix scratchiness in sound if u have that.(I don't)

Last edited:

journeyfan1977

Hi,
Well I tried hitting F2 when I had my list of games up and nothing happens. I'm using Mame 32 version 0.98 currently. Am I hitting F2 in the wrong place or something? In other words...I clicked on the arcade machine icon in my Mame folder and now i'm looking at my list of games...is this where F2 is supposed to be pushed? Another question I have is how do I set the background underneath my game list? I bought a set of Mame roms from a guy and the discs included alot of background art, but I can't seem to set up a bakcground. Post me back and thanks!

-Keith

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
You must hit the F2 button after you launched the game itself,in your case MK 1,2,3...So,start the game and press F2,you'll get to the options menu and change the volume...it's easy.
Concerning the background,start the emu,go to options > Background Image and select whichever back.art you like...must be in .png or .bmp format or else it won't work.

journeyfan1977

Hi again,
I fixed the sound on Mortal Kombat...thanks. Still can't get the background to work though. I did go to options and chose background. I have the different backgrounds in that particular folder too. Any ideas?

-Keith

hagbard

Mame32 Help file have the answer as usual. If you have placed the background images on Mame32\bkground folder, to get a random one at every startup: Mame32 menu "Options" -> "Interface Options" -> check "Select random background image".

journeyfan1977

Hi guys,
I was doing a more in depth test of Mortal Kombat 3 and I did notice some sound scratchiness...especially when playing with Liu Kang doing his bycycle kick. I played around with the audio latency switches but can't seem to make this slight popping go away. Can you tell me what you did to get rid of this. By the way...I fixed my background problem and MK volume problem. Sure hope I can get rid of this scratchy sound cause it's annoying as hell. Post me a reply or PM me.
Thanks,
Keith

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
If you have a "not that fast CPU" such as 500 Mhz or 750Mhz you might experience scratchiness,and you won't get rid of it.Another problem might be an old version of the mame emu.Get the 0.102 version!I recommend MAME32 Plus!,but that's the one I like,the important thing is that you have the latest version.I also had scratchines problems on mame32 v.87,I think.
Move the latency a bit if it doesn't work,choose another MK 1,2 or 3 rom,because there are many versions hacks,bootlegs,one of them will surely please you.
Hope I hear good news.

Last edited:

hagbard

Actually older Mame versions shoul work eventually faster because as the accuracy of emulation is improved, the speed usually lowers. This is somtimes called "Accuracy over speed", and the Mame's goal is the most perfect emulation possible no matters the speed.

Besides this fact, newer versions are of course recommended, and faster builds like fastmame, ZetaMame32, MamePlus!, etc

journeyfan1977

Ok guys, I'm at a loss. I downloaded Mortal Kombat 3 revision 2.1 from Romnation.net and I also tried one from a set of roms I purchased. I'm still hearing the sound scratchiness (especially when I perform Lui Kang's bicycle kick). I've messed with the latency and I still hear it. I tried version 0.102 of Mame and my older 0.98 version. My computer isn't a light weight machine. It's a Dell with at least a 2.4 GHZ processor. I tried getting the Mame 32 Plus, but can't find a good place to download it. Can you guys provide a direct link to get it in zip format? So do you guys here any sound scratchiness with Mame 32 Plus or other versions? I know I'm obsessing a bit, but I love these games and want a perfect sounding version. Is Mame 32 Plus harder to operate?

-Keith

hagbard

Install 7-zip or WinRAR to extract it. Google would help this btw

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Isn't there Mame Plus! on EZ ? CLICK HERE
That's the one I'm using...

journeyfan1977

To: pbdizayn

I downloaded the Mame 32 Plus! but can't get it to work. Here's the problem.
I clicked on the link you provided and got the Mame 32 Plus! zipped file, but it's that Z7 format. So then I got the Z7 from this site and tried to install it.
My problem is getting the Mame 32 plus to extract with Z7. Is there anyway you can send me the Mame 32 Plus folder with all this ready to go? I've never messed with anything except Winzip before. How big would that folder be?

-Keith

hagbard

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Download 7-Zip 4.23 in the link provided by hagbard and you should be fine.Or you may click on my link written in bold letters,to do it the easy way.Mine has a direct link,you can't miss it.

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I really hope u make it this time.C'mon we had bigger problems than that and solved them...Use 7-Zip to decompress the file.

>> CLICK ME <<

journeyfan1977

Sound scratchiness in Mortal Kombat 3

I have the current Mame32 version and an older version...0.98 I think, but in both the sound is scratchy playing Mortal Kombat 3. I know I posted about this previously, but's its really bugging me. Getting a different Rom was suggested, but aren't the Roms on the net pretty much passed on from site to site without any significant difference? Just wanted to know if anyone had a MK3 rom with no sound issues and where I can get it.

Thanks,
Keith