Good Joystick for Mame? For Fighting games like Street fighter or Mortal Kombat?

gamecity

Anyone know a good Joystick for Mame? For Fighting games like Street fighter or Mortal Kombat or marvel vs capcom.

I was playing marvel vs capcom but I couldn't get a super out with my keyboard or with my normal joystick. Anyone own a joystick that they like to use in this games and would like to recommend it to me.

cloud4004

Don't get me started on how much using the keyboard sucks with fighting games.

Red Octane makes a great adaptor for Playstation controllers that will allow you to use one with your PC!!!
http://www.redoctane.com/dualusb.html

If you already have a Playstation controller getting that adaptor would be the best thing you could do. If you don't grab a Ps controller and an adaptor. I use it on everything from ZSNES to Kawaks. Really Cool.

Last edited:

hagbard

I personally own the NeoGeo Stick 2, PS2 version of the original. Really good.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
hagbard said:
I personally own the NeoGeo Stick 2, PS2 version of the original. Really good.

Great choice, hagbard! Must get me one of those when I gt more money.
Now it's an old PS1 controller on the USB for me. Works nice, but certainly not optimal for fighting games.

Curunir

Heh. As a matter of fact I hardly ever play non-fighting arcade games. I've set myself up with a PS1 non-analog controller and it's just perfect for that purpose. I plug it through the LPT though, you can't buy one of those sodding USB thingies where I live so I had to dig up schematics for my dad to do the PS-to-LPT conversion.

And I think the thumb control is near-perfect, unless you have to do weird grappling character stuff like double 360 degree circles.

hagbard

It's a matter of taste, but if your thumbs hurt after playing a while, like me, you'll find the joystick pretty useful

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I have a usb controller for snes, nes, n64 and psx. And N64 is the best. It has the 6 button like most arcade's, and I set the joystick and directional padds to share the same assignment. So if you like the analog you get analog, or digital you get digital :) And you get 10 buttons, pluse 4 more if you dont assing the digital to the analog. Or get on of the great arcade joy sticks out there if th have the $$$. Like the hotrod se.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
ulaoulao said:
Like the hotrod se.

Good choice! I'm planning on getting me of those eventually. This will probably have to wait for another ten years, since there's so much I want to buy.
Nice set of controllers you have, BTW :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ya I 'm kind of a conasewer of the classics. I cant talk about my rom collection but I have all four controlers connected to a usb box I built. I can switch from one set to the next. Some emu's let this take place durring the game. I had to wire up the nes my self, but there is nothing like SM3 or contra on the good old 2 button pads. I will add sega when I also get some damn $$$.