Black Screen Problem

Meesh

Hi guys. Nice forum you have here.

I came here in search of an answer to a problem i've been having with my neorageX. I have searched far and wide but haven't been able to find much apart from a few answers which don't really help my problem.

Basically, I used to have Neorage6.0(NOT THE HACKED ONE) running perfectly on winXp. I stopped using neorage for a few months, and when I went to use it again all I get is a black screen when I start the emulator. It will show the little hourglass cursor for a couple of seconds but then the screen just stays black. The interface where you select the games never appears. Since then, I have tried like every single version of neorageX for XP and they all do the same thing. Something tells me there has to be a setting or something on my computer that will fix all this but I don't know where to start. I have done some tweaks on my computer to make it a bit faster for audio recording but most of them have been switched back so, I don't know what the hell to do now. Please help. Cheers

Meesh

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
First of all hello!

The problem you might have could be that you tweaked your winxp...
Hey, I tweaked almost everything in my windows (from visual styles ,memory,network to anything that can be sped up or eliminated) :) ,I could be called a maniac,so I will try to help you...

Open regedit,press CTRL+F and then type "neorage" , see if there are any strings,dwords in there...that fit the search.Then press mouse 2 button and simply delete the hole string or anything related.If not...I'm almost sure it's not the tweaking.
By the way did you use a tweaking program or just tweaked it manually ??(I used both...)

If the problem persists use Kawaks emulator (or Nebula) the latest version found on this great site.
It will work for sure.

Almost forgot:make sure you backup the registry before making any changes !!

Last edited:

Meesh

Hey man, thanks a lot for the reply!

Ok I searched for neorage in regedit and deleted anything I could see that had to do with neorage. I then re-installed it but it still doesn't work :(

I just did manual tweaks. I did most of the tweaks on this list. Maybe you can spot something that might mess it up.

http://tascamforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5641

I actually got winkawaks to work after a lot of screwing around. It's ok but it is still no where near how good neorage used to run - perfect full screen picture, no lag. Do you reckon re-installing XP would change anything?. I Might have to resort to that. Anyway thanks again for the help!

Meesh

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Hi again,Meesh...

None of the tweaks mentioned in the forum you linked above is harmful to neorage.Please use kawaks as it is far more advanced and up to date.Don't worry it has many options for high quality image.I had problems with fullscreen picture too...it's easy just go to Video->Correct full screen ratio->Strech to full screen...and enable it.

This goes for the Kawaks emulator.You can change a lot of options...play with the emu a little bit...

I used to play on neorage but I found Kawaks and it works fine.
If you still want to use Neorage reinstall WinXP,it will solve the problem for sure.
If problem persists you got video card problems, but I think you don't.
Use Kawaks it's better.

Meesh

pbdizayn said:
Hi again,Meesh...

None of the tweaks mentioned in the forum you linked above is harmful to neorage.Please use kawaks as it is far more advanced and up to date.Don't worry it has many options for high quality image.I had problems with fullscreen picture too...it's easy just go to Video->Correct full screen ratio->Strech to full screen...and enable it.

This goes for the Kawaks emulator.You can change a lot of options...play with the emu a little bit...

I used to play on neorage but I found Kawaks and it works fine.
If you still want to use Neorage reinstall WinXP,it will solve the problem for sure.
If problem persists you got video card problems, but I think you don't.
Use Kawaks it's better.

Ok, i'll probably re-install windows because i'm determined, but i'll definetly give kawaks another shot. I think half my problem is being bothered to go and re-get the missing roms. For some reason when I convert the neorage roms for kawaks, some of the roms(in some sets) are missing and don't work. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help man, much appreciated :thumb_up:

montpics said:
One more thing, there is no official NeoRageX versions that will work on WinXP.

Yeh I keep reading this everywhere and I can't understand how it works on my system. I first got neorage off an old cd from a friend back in 2001, I ran it on win98 at the time. Then I upgraded to XP a couple of years later and stuck the same disc in and it worked :confused:. Were the hacked versions out before 2001? and did they work on win98?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
IF U USED OTHER CONVERTERS...

If you're using old neorage roms (names like N2105465.078) you may need to convert them with Redump.
Please read the FAQ included in the Kawaks folder.
You don't need to reinstall WinXP since Kawaks outruns Neorage by miles and miles....

How to convert ?? Available at the web page in FAQ file.

Last edited:

Meesh

I use Romcenter to convert the roms, it seems to work fine for most. But for instance some roms like metal slug 1. Four of the roms are missing after the convert, but the other 5 are are still there, yet metal slug 2 converts fine without any missing. I have read the FAQ in the kawaks folder, that's where I learned the roms had to be converted to actually work, maybe I missed something :D. I might try this re-dump converter you mentioned, see if I get any different results. Cheers!

montpics

Meesh said:
Yeh I keep reading this everywhere and I can't understand how it works on my system. I first got neorage off an old cd from a friend back in 2001, I ran it on win98 at the time. Then I upgraded to XP a couple of years later and stuck the same disc in and it worked :confused:. Were the hacked versions out before 2001? and did they work on win98?
Yup, I 'bought' one CD which had NeorageX in it around year 2000. It worked on XP and that one is confirmed a hacked version. :)

ishigum

-------------------SOLUTION--------------------
If you keep loading the app over and over again (Pressing Alt+F4 when the screen stays black) it will eventually load and it will keep loading until you shut your computer off. Be patient you may have to do it up to 30 times but it does work if you have the patience for it. Here's a screen shot I took today. Like I said it takes patience but worth it IMO. I'm running Windows 10 FYI.
kof98_12_30_2016.jpg

I think what's happening is the emulator is loading at a random resolution and it works when it hits a resolution that your system supports. I noticed sometimes when doing my load trick the screen wouldn't go black but would instead say "Not supported". That was my hint that it may be trying different resolutions.

Last edited:

KAISY

-------------------SOLUTION--------------------
If you keep loading the app over and over again (Pressing Alt+F4 when the screen stays black) it will eventually load and it will keep loading until you shut your computer off. Be patient you may have to do it up to 30 times but it does work if you have the patience for it. Here's a screen shot I took today. Like I said it takes patience but worth it IMO. I'm running Windows 10 FYI.
kof98_12_30_2016.jpg

I think what's happening is the emulator is loading at a random resolution and it works when it hits a resolution that your system supports. I noticed sometimes when doing my load trick the screen wouldn't go black but would instead say "Not supported". That was my hint that it may be trying different resolutions.

I stopped using neorage for a few months, and when I went to use it again all I get is a black screen when I start the emulator. It will show the little hourglass cursor for a couple of seconds but then the screen just stays black. The interface where you select the games never appears.

KAISY

I stopped using neorage for a few months, and when I went to use it again all I get is a black screen when I start the emulator. It will show the little hourglass cursor for a couple of seconds but then the screen just stays black. The interface Xender Discord Omegle where you select the games never appears.