Computer Freezes when i try to delete my Temp' internet files

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
When ever i try to delete my temporary internet files my computer freezes, Normally i would wonrry but when i go to scan my computer with norton antivirus it takes twice as long. Is it ok to just delete the whole folder or is there files in it that i need?

mhl12

Download CleanUp and use that program to delete your internet cache: http://www.geekstogo.com/modules.php?modid=5&action=show&id=49

After that, defragment your computer if you have not done so in a while.

And if you suspect any malware on you computer, run a virus/antispyware scan.
If the scanners do not find anything and you still have the problem, download Hijackthis and post your log on this board and the staff there will help you remove any malware on your computer.

cloud4004

If your temp folder is packed, delete a few files at a time until it's empty... Don't try to delete like 300 files at once.

You don't need anything in there...
Try to get in the habbit of cleaning your temp folder at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
mhl12 said:
Download CleanUp and use that program to delete your internet cache: http://www.geekstogo.com/modules.php?modid=5&action=show&id=49

After that, defragment your computer if you have not done so in a while.

And if you suspect any malware on you computer, run a virus/antispyware scan.
If the scanners do not find anything and you still have the problem, download Hijackthis and post your log on this board and the staff there will help you remove any malware on your computer.

Cheers mate thats help alot. 60000 files deleted and 800mb freed-up. Ive heard about defragemnting a computer but dont know what it actually does or how to do it. Can anyone help. Im using win XP.

cloud4004 said:
Try to get in the habbit of cleaning your temp folder at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Cheers for the advice i'll try that from now on. Is there anyway to do this automatically. With firefox and IE.

Saq

defragmenting sounds like a word like formatting your pc. but it's not, it's cleans up bad sectors on your hd and makes it smoother to run on.

No it doesn't, it makes blocks of data contiguous.

I think it's hilarious how average-intelligence people's computer advice is always one of these:

A) Format
B) Reinstall Windows
C) Defrag
D) Anti-virus
E) Spyware check

mhl12

Wizzle Waz said:
No it doesn't, it makes blocks of data contiguous.

I think it's hilarious how average-intelligence people's computer advice is always one of these:

A) Format
B) Reinstall Windows
C) Defrag
D) Anti-virus
E) Spyware check

well that's basically where all the problems lie. Many people get viruses and don't clean out their temporary files.

And reformatting is always the last resort so that is always mentioned.