Ripping/extracting music from SNES roms

enjikari

Is this possible? There are several SNES (actually, several consoles period) games that I'd love to extract and save the music from. The music is in the rom somewhere, so I'm sure there's got to be a way to get it and save it. If anyone has any information on how to go about doing this I would greatly appreciate it.

hagbard

Snes9x & ZSNES can dump .SPC files, which are the loaded data on the Sony's SPC700 sound CPU. With the help of some aplicattions or plugins like SNESAmp for WinAmp, is possible to hear the original music. A few are not compatible though, most noticeable Tales of Phantasia opening.

There're some ways to extract the samples & sfx from the SNES games but I don't remember the programs now

enjikari

Ok, so we know it can be done. And yes, I use SNES9x, so I should be able to do this. Also, I use Windows Media Player for my music listening, so I was wondering if there were any plugins for that I could use. I've been trying to use SNES9x to extract the spc files, but I'm not sure how. Again, any help would be appreciated.

hagbard

I think a SPC player or other "light" games music players would be good for you, as I doubt WMP SPC plugins exist. I like SuperJukebox

You can dump (actually it's not directly extracted but dumped and emulated data) SPC files with Snes9x with menu "File" -> "Save SPC data". On Zsnes, press <F1>, then "Save SPC data". The saved SPC would get the music since the point you saved untill it ends, no matter if you quit the emulator before the music changes or stop.

If you are mostly interested in listen the SNES music, you might download "full OSTs" from the links I previously provided :cool:

cibomatto2002

Windows 10

enjikari

Well, to be honest, I'm looking to get some old school game soundtracks. The ones for the SNES games I wanted I already have now (thanks again to those who helped). Now I'm on a search for the music to every Mega Man game I can find (mainly 1-8 and the Xs). If anyone could point me to where I might find these at (preferably in MP3 format) it would save me the hassle of doing the SPC thing. Thanks in advance.

hagbard

You can't ask for MP3 here.

Anyway, Megaman 1-6 are NES game, 8 for PSX, X4-6 are for PSX and X7-8 PS2.
Then as for NES games there's the NSF format, and the PSF for non streamed music games on PSX/PS2. You'll find most here