problem with chankast

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
hey guys hope you can help with this. i have the bios and flash in the same folder where chankast is. i have the game mounted on daemon tools and everything but when i try to start chankast it freezes on me. also the file name is "hydro_thunder.cdi" so im not sure if it has to do with the fact that its .cdi instead of .iso. this happens with both 0.2a and 0.25a me need help.

hagbard

Perhaps the game it's not compatible with Chankast, not self-bootable or it's a Echelon release (has an intro that crashes the emulator). You can fix it if being not bootable it's the cause, make a little forum search ;)

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
i did do a forum search and all i found was to use utopia boot loader or something like that. but me no know how to use utopia or what the download is suppose to contain. so first question would be how do i use utopia and what is the download suppose to contain so i know i got the right file.

hagbard

Last edited:

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
thanks i'll post once i get it working or if i come to another problem.

hey!! your a mod now when did that happen. congrats man!!

hagbard

It was three days ago. Let's keep the site nice as now, thanks a lot for your support :)

Of course feel free to post your feedback about chankast. Hope it helps

Last edited:

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
alright first i tried another game which is .cdi aswell. the file name is DC dead or alive 2 LE (self).cdi. so im thinking its self bootable but im not sure. and i found this site that has a bunch of versions of utopia boot loader.
some of them are:Utopia DC BootCD Discjuggler Format.
the rest are like this but in diffrent formats. and im not really sure on what exactly im supposed to do after i download utopia.

hagbard

Your DOA2 looks to be self boot, so it only needs to be mounted with Daemon Tools, and the virtual drive selected on Chankast, then start the emulation

About UBD, got the first version, no matter the format. Mount it, start Chankast with the emulated drive untill the loader screen it's shown. Now mount your ISO replacing the UBD previously mounted. Go to Chankast and enjoy :cool:

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
ok i tried to run DOA2 by mounting it on DT then i started the emulation. waited like
2 1/2 mins befores i decided it froze and it did. i went to click on the x button but nothing(a clear sign that it's frozen). im wondering if the plugin matter like CDrom interface xxx and the aspi one. does it matter which one i choose. i have the drive set to F: which is my DT drive so i really don't know what the problem is.

hagbard

I'm not sure if DOA2 it's compatible with Chankast, I think not. Furthermore, every Echelon release it's not compatible with this emulator.

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
nothing works maybe i got the wrong bios or flash files. you think you can tell me the size the bios to see if i have somthing close to that.
btw when i mount utopia on DT it brings up a window with three text files each 1kb but the icon says it's around 4megs so this make me confused :confused:

hagbard

dc_bios.bin -> 2.097.152 bytes , 89F2B1A1 CRC32
dc_flash.bin -> 131.072 bytes , 307A7035 CRC32

The crc might change depending of the version of "dc_flash.bin". I can't tell you about the others atm because I'm at work now.

How many games did you try? And how about your GFX card specs? This is very importnat to know ;)

Last edited:

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
alright i got it to start but thier no sign of the boot loader taking any effect. isn't it suppose to have some kind of logo of a animal or something? and since both DOA2 and sonic adventure 2 don't work with my gfx card (which is nvidia geforce2 mx btw)i either need to get hydro thunder to work or find another game that is self boot and is compatible with both chankast and my gfx card.

jv9

305soldier said:
alright i got it to start but thier no sign of the boot loader taking any effect. isn't it suppose to have some kind of logo of a animal or something? and since both DOA2 and sonic adventure 2 don't work with my gfx card (which is nvidia geforce2 mx btw)i either need to get hydro thunder to work or find another game that is self boot and is compatible with both chankast and my gfx card.

It should show this when it does boot:http://www.tradu-france.com/compatibility-list-dreamcast/_pic/507.jpg
Might depend on which version your using.

hagbard

Are you sure you have selected the Daemon Tools virtual drive on Options -> Configure Drive?

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
alright i got utopia working (i had to set the cable type to NTSC) but now when it says insert disc i unmount utopia and mount hydro thunder to daemon tools but nothing happens. am i suppose to reset the emulation or something.

hagbard

It should work this way, the game shouild start automatically.

Try to use another UBD version, you'll be luckier with the first one but some UBD images work better than others although being apparently the same version. The CloneCD UBD ISO works Ok with me. Also if your ISO it's an Echelon release it won't work anyway.

I think it's better to try to make your ISO self-bootable, on one link I post before thert're some kits to make it easily ;)

Last edited:

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
alright first im goin to try to see if i can get UBD working then i'll check out the links you posted.