Is it possible...

davem20

Hello everyone I'm sort of new at emulation, particularly arcade and mame emulation. I know you can't ask certain questions about roms so I hope this is ok. I have found that many roms need extra files such as .chd files, bios files, and some I don't even know what they are. I'm new so many times I don't know where to even begin looking for these files. I know to Google them but that leads to a lot of garbage for someone like me who doesn't know what's real and what's fake. By the way I'm not asking for info about finding roms or any other files.

My question (finally) is, is there anyway to know before you download a rom if it's going to need extra files? Is there some list that tells what sizes the games should be or any way to tell what games will need extra files? Sometimes I just want to get a game and hop into it. And since I'm not so good at finding some of these extra files and I'm on dial-up I'd like to avoid some of the games that need .chd files. It kind of stinks when I spend hours on downloading a game just to find out it needs a huge .chd or other file that will take me forever to download if I can find it. I'm not complaining, I just hope to find some information to save me some trouble. If anyone can give me any information about my question I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for you time.

Fable

Urban Ninja
first of all what connection are you running on?
second, all the files *should* come with the rom
third, give an example lol

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
first of all bios files are mandotory in every single emulator(that i know) some come with the bios and some you have to find the seperately about .chd files i don't know cuz i don't really use arcade emulators but i thought i'd clear up about the bios.

@fable he said he has dial-up.

davem20

I'm running on an aol dial up connection. Yes the files have the rom. I'm talking about the extra files like .chd files and bios files. Some of the games I've run into that needed extra files are Killer Instinct 1 & 2, the Metal Slug games, Dead or Alive, and several others. They have the rom but are missing bios or .chd files. I don't need to find those files or know anything about them. I just want to know if there's a way to find out before I download a rom if it will require more files that will have to be found seperately. Thanks.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
305soldier said:
first of all bios files are mandotory in every single emulator(that i know) some come with the bios and some you have to find the seperately about .chd files i don't know cuz i don't really use arcade emulators but i thought i'd clear up about the bios.

@fable he said he has dial-up.

Ive been using VBA for about a year and ive never need the bios file. Unless the bios file is need for certain games that i havent played yet.

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
well davem20 you will need dsl or something faster to get the better games or if you know someone that has downloaded then allready