Totally Clueless

stogie00

Hi,
I am getting more confused then ever ,The Sticky "Get your PS2 Emulator Here etc" Basically says that the are No Emulators that work with the PS2.As far as I could see.
Is that Correct.
If they dont why this forum.
Just to get clear in my mind a PS2 Emulator is a Programe that allows you to Play PS2 Games on a PC?!?!.
If this is True,I suppose a Mouse and Keyboard wont work.
What is a rom.
How about a Sticky from the Moderators and Member's in the Know ,Telling Newbies what is what and what is Required.
Something along the Lines of "So you are New to PS2 Emulators and Question you were afraid to ask".

mhl12

99% of the games cannot be played at a playable speed. That means every thing is too slow. Most games, it just get stuck at the menu and nothing else happens.

PCSX2 is the best ps2 emulator so far.

A rom is a game file ripped from a game or it is created. However, ps1 and ps2 dont have roms since they use cds and dvds. Instead, you have isos, which are cd images.

stogie00

How does it work

Is the Sony Playstation Game DVD or CD actually Played from or is the Game Transferred to the PC as in PC Game's ,Excepting that with PC Games the Cd or DVD must be left in the appropiate Drive to Play.
Does any one Know why the PS2 Games won't Play up to Speed i.e sticks at the Menu.
Does any one know the Difference Between the PC Game CD "Code" and the Sony PS2 Game CD "Code"
I mean what is the Different Language.
Perhaps some one could make a Converter for PS2 Code to PC Code
If you do get a PS2 Game to Play,Will it work with the Mouse and Key Board or if it doesnt what do you need for Controllers
The Emulator PCSX2 is it on this site

Last edited:

hagbard

1 - It might be played directly from PS2 CD/DVD media with a PC CD/DVD-ROM drive. The drive might be selected by the user.

2 - PS2 architecture it's really complex, powerfull so today's PCs can't play it at playable speed

3 - A Windows PC Game it's coded for x86 CPU architecture and the DirectX / OGL libraries. A PS2 game it's coded for the PS2 arcitecture, being the main CPU the Emotion Engine, not x86 compatible. The libraries are totally diferent, so made a port of a PS2 game to PC *with* the source code would not be easy to a expert coder, but whithout the sources it's impossible.

4 - A PS2 emulator would use the DirectX libraries (as PCSX2), so if it's Direct Input it's coded/enabled any compatible device such as gamepad, keyboard or mouse would work.

gilby

hope i can help

i ran into the very same problem, got some good answers from some pretty smart guys on here...I guess everyone experiences the speed problem thing because the emulator is so raw and in development stages. What I am finding out is that folks are developing better graphics plugins that are slowly improving on the whole speed issue. I just saw a post from a guy saying he got a game to play at about half speed by using a different plugin, I'll have to find out which one it was again, but it was just one game he was talking about. Anyway, the point is were all kinda screwed until this whole thing gets tried and more and more people try their hands with it. I don't think it'll be too long before somebody gets it all right. just check all the forums that deal with the pcsx2 emulator, they all are pretty adamant about getting this thing to work right, hope that helps; I know it's sort of annoying to go through all the trouble to download and find all the bios and stuff and blah blah just to have some 13 year old hacker kid that you're being impatient heheh. Anyway hope that helps a little.

stogie00

A E-mail from a Friend

A friend who is pretty good found this on the net,He said it was from awhile ago

"It would have to be in the early stages because there would be no way to
test it once they really started getting in to it. No 32-bit computer
out there (that practically all of them) is capable of emulating two
128-bit vector units, the PS2's central processor, the PS2's controller
chip, and its graphics processor in real time. Another reason a PS2
emulator wouldn't work is because of the amount of video memory
bandwidth the PS2 has. The PS2 has 6 times the video bandwidth of top
of the line PC's. If there ever was a PS2 emulator, you wouldn't be
able to run it at any kind of acceptable speed (much less full speed)
for MANY, MANY years."

mhl12

that's exagerating it a little too much. A lot of improvements have been made with the latest version of the ps2 emulator. I expect that it will be fully operational with 1-2 years time seeing how technology changes so fast.

Fable

Urban Ninja
stogie00 said:
A friend who is pretty good found this on the net,He said it was from awhile ago

"It would have to be in the early stages because there would be no way to
test it once they really started getting in to it. No 32-bit computer
out there (that practically all of them) is capable of emulating two
128-bit vector units, the PS2's central processor, the PS2's controller
chip, and its graphics processor in real time. Another reason a PS2
emulator wouldn't work is because of the amount of video memory
bandwidth the PS2 has. The PS2 has 6 times the video bandwidth of top
of the line PC's. If there ever was a PS2 emulator, you wouldn't be
able to run it at any kind of acceptable speed (much less full speed)
for MANY, MANY years."
just because the bandwidth is faster doesn't mean anything its clock frequency is only 300 mhz.. you said top of the line? well two of these in SLI would rape the PS2, have time to light a cigerette and rape it again.

sli = 2 geforce 7800's in pairs, so theoretically itll be about 80gb of bandwidth