Need Help Finding A Ps2 Emulator

El Fugitivo

Eh, the PlayStation line was not the first to feature backwards-compatability. The GameBoy, for instance, and I believe the Atari 2600/5200/7800 series, as well, offer that ability.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I thought that only the 7800 was backwards compatible with the 2600. The 7800 was also the first time Atari had someone else design their console for them.

El Fugitivo

You may be right, I wasn't entirely sure on that one. I think there are probably other consoles from that period that were backwards compatible with previous models, those were just the two examples that I came up with in the 30 seconds it took to write that post.

The point was that the PS2 was by no means the first console that allowed you to play games from older consoles.

suckthismeat

ok, the gameboy I wouldnt call a console to start with, seeing as how it is a handheld system. Point is, 3 generations from both sega and nintendo went by without any backwards compatability.... masters/genesis(x32/cd-which were merely expansions that still couldn't be used on the next system)/saturn/dreamcast - none of them were compatable from one to another... and nintendo from the 8bit/snes/n64/GC again, nothing, then the PS1/PS2 which does have backwards compatablilty and hopefully they rememver that with the PS3..... but that makes one company producing new consoles that work with the previous games ( unless you count the fact that dreamcast can play ps1 games......but thats a hack anyways so I don't think it counts)

and I am sorry, but who cares about the atari any more - I use to have one somewhere but that was just to say I still have one..... I could't even tell you if it still works or not

J

Jet Set Willy

You don't know what you're talking about (again).

You could play Master System games on the Gensis/MegaDrive with only a cheap expansion cartridge.

Why is the Gameboy and Atari not counting? Just so you can make a point?

A bunch of systems were even cross-compatible. You could play Atari games on a Colecovision, for example.

suckthismeat

gameboy is NOT a console.
and why should anyone have to buy an expansion to allow them to play OLD games. Sounds to me like someone making a cheap profit....
the point is w/o extra cost, on a consolse system, Sony makes the only one that is backwards compatable (of recent generations - im not getting into atari).... and I have no idea how I ended up on the topics of systems that are backwards compatable seeing as how my whole point in here is WHY haven't they(someone I don't care who, be it a hacker or even sony themsevs) created a working emular?!? - All I see is 'well we use demo's to make the games, thats why only they[the demo's] work'

Why are we still disecting demos to make emulators, when your next door neighbor can give you a real game to disect?

If they need the real thing to make it from, then GET the REAL thing!

Amazing - how did the xbox emulator get made, I am assuming (since it is only capable of playing halo) that he disected halo. Bright person, at least he has a working emulator

get HIM to make the ps/2 emulator, at least he has a little common sense that says.... well ONE game is better than NONE and better than a DEMO

J

Jet Set Willy

How is a Gameboy not a console? Because it takes batteries?

Using demos instead of full games is not why there isn't an "emular" for the PS2 yet. Demos come with source code and are a good reference point in getting simple features to work - somebody can use a PS2 devkit to write a demo which uses a certain piece of hardware, and then the emulator can be written to reproduce the desired effects.

suckthismeat

you can make all the excuses you want to... yet I have seen emulators come out for systems within 2 years of production or even sooner. Yet we still wait on a working ps2 emulator - even xbox, which sux balls has a working emulator - it may not work for your favorite game yet, but at least it aint a demo.

- and I thought i mentioned that I dont care how my spellin is.

--edit--
gameboy is certanly NOT a console in the normal point of view. think about console systems what comes to mind..... not gba.... GC mabey, n64, etc. but when was the last time anyone here considered Game Boy as a console?

J

Jet Set Willy

You're cutting entire syllables out of your words. That's not just bad spelling, it's plain scary.

I don't think you know enough about the subject to comment, as usual. Halo runs on an X-Box emulator because the machine's architecture is so similar to x86 PCs, there was no added problem in having to figure out legacy hardware. Everything you've said here is just plain foolish.

suckthismeat

well, then we should see the full emulator soon enough... too bad we wont a pa ps2 emulator to go with it

-- oh and as to the sylables, Im half drunk right now, ill leave out all sorts of shit

suckthismeat

Originally posted by WazWaz@Jan 5 2004, 04:25 AM
, there was no added problem in having to figure out legacy hardware.
:blink:

eh?

--edit--

and I started thinking I was drinking too much

J

Jet Set Willy

What I meant to say was:

"there was no added problem in having to figure out legacy hardware.".

And well done, you've told us that you're drunk, twice now. We all wish we were as bad-ass as you.

suckthismeat

i am trying to figure out what that line is there for.....
and that didnt help any

-- edit --
mabey its your turn to try and make sense

apocalypse835

Damn, it would take a LOT of dedication D/loading PS2 roms. How big are the files?

Robzilla

Well, considering Sony uses DVD as the media for the Playstation2 (I know they also use regular CD sometimes.) and that a DVD can hold 4.7 gigs of data. You can assume that the largest a Playstation rom will be is 4.7 gigs.

El Fugitivo

Dual-layer DVDs can hold up to 9 GB. I don't know if any PS2 games are on dual-layer DVDs though.

In any case, I doubt that there are any PS2 games that use more than 2-3 GB. Think of how much room your average brand-new PC game takes up on your HD.