best gameing laptop

rogersstuart

Im looking into buying a laptop and am wondering. Who has the best laptop for gameing? Ive been looking arround and it seems that hp's top laptop is the cheapest and seems like it has ok hardware, but I havent delt much with all the requirements for todays gameing needs. Any help would be apprecitated.

hagbard

Look at the Video Card specs, if possible get one with exclusive V-Ram, prefrably from Nvidia or Ati (avoid Intel gpu chipsets), but I think it's not the most usual.

mhl12

If price isn't an issue, go for Alienware. They are overly expensive I have to admit but they make up for style and quality.

onewecallgod

depends on what games you play. if you have the cash, get a Dell 9200 with go6800 graphics (17in, 1.6-2.1 dothan, less than 2k)

s

Best Gaming Laptop

Depending on how much you want to spend.... You can get an Alienware Area 51 Laptop and customize to about $4,000.

If you go Dell, the XPS will do great. I think about 2,000- 3,000

I personal am stuck with an IBM R51 ($1,500)that my university gave to me my orientation day and cant afford a laptop out my own pocket.

Does run games decently, at Pentium M 1.5ghz, 512 Ram, and Intel Extreme GFX 2 at 64 Shared VRAM.

Get anything above 1.5 and if possible a non-celeron meachine with 512RAm or more and you will be fine and maybe at most spend $2,000 ;)

rogersstuart

If the laptop has intel graphics, what will it be able to do. Will it be able to play a game like halo or doom 3, with all the eye candy turned off ?

If I was to use intel graphics what chipset would be best?

Last edited:

mhl12

rogersstuart said:
If the laptop has intel graphics, what will it be able to do. Will it be able to play a game like halo or doom 3, with all the eye candy turned off ?

If I was to use intel graphics what chipset would be best?

intel graphics is THE most basic graphics card. So no, playing halo or doom3 (or any other heavy graphics game) is kinda out of the question. You can play some other games such as Counter Strike, Diablo2, StarCraft, and Warcraft on that graphics card though.

the_ghost

emu wizard
wsounitepirate895 said:
Depending on how much you want to spend.... You can get an Alienware Area 51 Laptop and customize to about $4,000.

If you go Dell, the XPS will do great. I think about 2,000- 3,000

I personal am stuck with an IBM R51 ($1,500)that my university gave to me my orientation day and cant afford a laptop out my own pocket.

Does run games decently, at Pentium M 1.5ghz, 512 Ram, and Intel Extreme GFX 2 at 64 Shared VRAM.

Get anything above 1.5 and if possible a non-celeron meachine with 512RAm or more and you will be fine and maybe at most spend $2,000 ;)
I have to say say I agree I have a customized Alienware Area 51
and I havent run into any game that I could not play smothly (Halo, Doom3, Half-Life 2,
Counter-Strike Source (all of the steams game that I own), and a couple of other games run perfectly on my Area 51)
expensive as hell though, but Im very happy

Last edited:

rogersstuart

I was looking at the HP Pavilion zd8000, it looks pretty good for a desktop replacement & a gameing computer. But the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card looks a little weak to me. I was wondering if anyone had ever had this card in their laptop, and if so how did it fair when playing games. Thanks

Last edited:

onewecallgod

the x600 is equivelent to the 9600pro in my computer. its fine for doom 3, HL2, source, halo and whatever the hell you wanna throw at it. but if you want the uber eye candy, get the dell 9200with a go6800

rogersstuart

Going off topic real quick. Ive got a pc at home and it has no special graphic card ports :dry: ( i.e. no agp or pci express) and i am planing on upgradeing. Ive got 2 questions about it.

1. Will there be a lag (which im presumeing there will be), and if so how bad will it be when playing games such as halo or doom 3.

2. Which card do you recomend in the $100 below range.

onewecallgod

for integrated graphics, you'll be able to play halo at lowest settings. doom 3, not a chance. the best PCI graphics card you can get is the 5700LE which is just under 100$. with that card, you'll be able to play doom 3, but it wont be all that great

rogersstuart

What do you think of this one for pci graphics

Diamond Stealth S85 Featuring ATI's Radeon 9250 Chipset, 128MB DDR PCI Video Card with DVI and TV-Out

it $89 with a $20 rebate

(if you need more specs, i found it on outpost.com in the pci graphics card section)