Winamp5

El Fugitivo

suckthismeat: the point is that Nullsoft are turning what used to be a simple mp3 player into an all-in-one a/v device. That's why they're charging money for it. It makes perfect sense, and is not a cheap attempt to cash in on the Winamp name. It's like Trillian, which took a bunch of IM and chat services and rolled them into one easy to use program. They charge because what they are doing is making it easier for the end user to do what they want without searching around for a bunch of different programs (in Winamp5's case, it is meant to replace mp3 players, video players, ripping programs and burning programs). So what if they charge for some of the more advanced features? They still put out a good base product for free, which is the exact same thing Trillian does. Why aren't you bitching about it?

I'd be willing to bet that there're at most two or three members on this forum who actually purchased Winamp5 Pro. Most of us don't want or need it. But some people do, and I'd rather have my grandma buy and use it for all her media needs than try to set up and show her how to use Nero, EAC, Winamp 2.x, and BSPlayer. There's a specific market for all-in-one programs like this, and while I generally don't care for them, it's a much more convenient, less aggravating way for many people to get their feet wet.

Edit: By the way, I've never seen Nero bundled with either CD burners or pre-built PCs. All of my friends and relatives got Roxio's EZ CD Creator or whatever similar products out there with their burners.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
It's all a matter of the hardware manufacturer:
My old HP CD burner had ECDC 3.5
My new sony B's Recorder GOLD5
My friends Plextor... Nero 6

suckthismeat

All I know is that 2 of my last 3 have come with nero - the one that didn't was Hp's Vertias I think....

And while all in one may have its place, I dont see why we have to pay to merely rip the cd's, MusicMatch forinstance, will allow you to rip anything you want to, an even burn them, but both have limited rates unless you pay. Also, If I remeber correctly, WMP 9 will do all of it now for free(rip play and burn).

As to trilliian, I use the free version of it, which seems to do everything I need it to, except for webcams and the like(though that could be a problem with my hardware--it doesn't really like Winxp.). I don't really care, as I don't use it that much. Even at that, Trillian wasn't part of the topic. I had no reason to mention it.

J

Jet Set Willy

I thought you used Gentoo? It would be Gaim or CenterICQ, surely.

suckthismeat

well no it wouldnt if I use msn messenger service....
and I mentioned before I dual boot didnt I?
Oh and by the way, Winex (which I ALSO mentioned before) runs trillian very, very well.

Find something else to bitch about

--edited for clarity of msn service--

J

Jet Set Willy

That's the version with added clarity?!

Gaim works fine with MSN. CenterICQ just removed it all, I think.

Anyway, my point is that for somebody who so much enjoyed imposing standards on everybody for the computing enviroment they choose, you sure do like booting into Windows a lot.

suckthismeat

Originally posted by WazWaz@Jan 3 2004, 04:26 AM
That's the version with added clarity?!

Gaim works fine with MSN. CenterICQ just removed it all, I think.

Anyway, my point is that for somebody who so much enjoyed imposing standards on everybody for the computing enviroment they choose, you sure do like booting into Windows a lot.
hold on here, I like this one.

GAIM which is AIM - AOL INSTANT MESSENGER - for linux, SUX BALLS!
Last time I used it, it had no features at all, sending/reciving files - automatic list download, anything. I am not about to waste my time rebulding my buddy list.

Everybuddy, which does suppport almost all of them tends not to like list downloads either, and thats WHEN it can connect to the service.

I can still use trillian, AIM, YahooIM, and ICQ (all from windows) under winex, thats what I pay them for, so no I dont HAVE to boot to windows, I do occasionnaly to use the few features that trillian cant seem to use (in the free version anyways)

are you done bitching yet about my use of free software?

J

Jet Set Willy

I'm not bitching, you're just very defensive (and incoherrent). I hope you realise that you won't get far if you can't handle a little criticism.

Gaim isn't AIM, it's just an unfortunate acronym. Don't go talking about things you don't understand. It's the exact same thing as Trillian - a plugin framework for instant messaging. Yes, it is pretty crap, but apparently the last time you used it was years ago, since all of those features have been implemented for ages. Stop commenting on things you don't use.

Yes, I get the message about WineX. I think it's quite funny that you use the gaming version of Wine for applications, though.

Don't be so defensive, it's annoying. Just calm down and discuss things honestly without a tirade of bullshit.

suckthismeat

your right, I havent used gaim in a long time, for the same reason I mentioned, at that time it was only a very poor port of the real AIM, and I found that AOL ported there own version which worked a lot better.

I can't say anything current about it, as I don't use it.

The only reason Winex is used for trillian is 1) I stoped using the free wine a long time ago and 2) WineX is has extra software for compatability, why not use it.... better than tryin to run everything in vmware(too slow to run windows on linux) or some other overpriced shit.

even at that I use winex for games like UT. So far it seems to do it all well, except for MS games (AOE/Rise of Nations/ etc).

J

Jet Set Willy

I never liked the way they tried to distribute WineX very much. At the time I tried to use it, if you wanted the 'free' version of WineX you had to go through some nasty round-a-bout way of installing, which really pissed me off. It also didn't play nice with my existing Wine installation, but that may have been due to my distro at the time.

Now we're best friends. Let's camp out in my garden.

suckthismeat

I dunno bout that camping out bit....

but either way, I found out the easiest way to use winex - pay the 15 bucks, get the tar.gz version (you dont have to build anything just extract in root directory) and cancel the membership after 3 months

--edit--

The only other distro I have used it on is Suse 8.0 pro w/o any problems. but I will soon be trying it on MDK 9.2.

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
Don't disrespect Waz by not accepting his invitation to go camping in his garden. It's a great garden, fu©ke®.

J

Jet Set Willy

I'm really hurt. I was going to let him see my fort, too. :(

I tried installing it on SuSE 7.1, which was pretty ancient even at the time. Their method of installing just wouldn't work on that system without me hunting out a lot of packages and source balls, most of which had a bunch of dependencies each. I wasn't really prepared to pay money for something I couldn't succesfully run, and all I wanted to do was play Baldur's Gate anyway.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Yup, damn fine garden. I used to enjoy going there until Waz caught me stealing buds from his marijuana plants. :p

J

Jet Set Willy

Hah, like anything could grow outside in this country's weather.

I've actually been looking into growing pot, but
1) I've more interesting things I'd like to grow
2) It's not a particularly interesting drug
3) This is so off-topic. I'm sorry. We should reply in Honka if we want to continue this discussion.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I never really got WINE to work right, although I didn't really try very hard. I also couldn't get my modem to work so I kind of lost interest in it until I get one that works in Linux. I got it to run Windows notepad and a few programs that were single executable files.

EDIT: Your right, very off topic.

J

Jet Set Willy

I learned more about Linux trying to make my WinModem work than I did through anything else. Great fun.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
I actually have a hardware modem, but for some reason it refuses to work. I tried it in Slackware 9.0. My friend who gave me the modem (because I had a winmodem) said he used to use it in Slackware 7.1 (I think). The modem says it's ready but it won't initialize, it just stalls. I'm a real novice at Linux so aside from making the symlink or trying different scripts I really don't know what to do to make it work.

EDIT: spelling...

suckthismeat

is the modem setup for PnP or is it forced to a port? either way, try forcing it to com3 (if it is an isa modem)

If it is PCI, and NOT USRobotics, I dont have a clue...

I personally use the usrobotics hardware based pci modem and have never had any problems. Just ISA in PnP mode.

suckthismeat

ok, I downloaded winamp 5 free version finaly....
1st I would like to note that it looks too much like MusicMatch (by the default settings)

but more importantly - what the hell is the AAC codec? I have never heard of such a thing, and to note a minor error in my thoughts about Winamp5 - You only have to pay to rip to mp3, not to AAC or WAV. Though I don't see a point to using either one unless AAC is a better codec.....