Emulator ON the PS3?

DaddyBigNuts

Hello good people of EmulatorZones forum.

I’ve had a little butchers around and I’ve not been able to find an answer to a simple question I’d like to ask of all you emulation experts.

Now like most people around here I am sure I’ve been grabbed by the nuts and shaken around by all the next generation console news that’s been plastered all over the web in the last week or two.

I have for you a question relating to the PS3:

Seeing as it is going to have a hard drive (whether we get it as standard is a moot point, it is getting one) I was wondering whether I would be able to play my collection of back up roms from various consoles on it?

I love the convenience of the idea of playing all the games I’ve ever owned on the one console.

So;
[*]Will people be able to write emulators for the PS3 emulation of other systems that I can then save to it’s hard drive?
[*]Will I be able to emulate and play my collection of (back up) roms from the c64 through to the N64 on my PS3 when I get it?

If anyone could answer my simple question that would be fantastic!

hagbard

When the PS3 will be publicy available and the "PS3 scene" have time enough, perhaps someone will answer. You'll have to wait some years though

Last edited:

mhl12

many things are possible with today's technology but since we don't have the ps3 yet, we don't know the answer to your question. Srry.

montpics

Still early to make an assumption since the PS3 is not officially released in public. Try to wait till 2007 to see if there is an emulation about PS3 then. ;)

Robert

I take it the question is how to run a PS2 or PSX emulator on the PS3?

There has been some talk but no action at this stage. That's all I can say.

hagbard

Robert said:

PS3 backwards compatibility for PS2 & PSX was confirmed on the last E3

Robert

Yeah ... I vaguely recall something about that... I think a PSP could be used as a controller for a PS3 as well.

PS3 Emulation

Robert said:
Yeah ... I vaguely recall something about that... I think a PSP could be used as a controller for a PS3 as well.

It be interesting, but we are dealing with SONY, Which mean another PSP like system with firmware updates, and other stuff that will make the hard working emulator programmer's life even more complex :glare:

It probably will be a few months if not years to get ps3 hacked, and yea maybe there is something that could be done with that Hard Drive.

Wont be impossible but expect to wait before anything starts happening.

DaddyBigNuts

Cheers very much for taking the time to respond to my query.

To make it clearer for those that didn’t get what I was asking basically what I want to know is whether or not I will be able to play roms on the PS3 i.e play N64 games or Mega Drive (Genesis) games on the PS3 console.

I was wondering whether the fact that the PS3 will have a hard drive would enable me to do so.

I gather that some of you believe it will be possible and that’s cool.

**Seeing as Sony have recently stated that the PS3 will run various OS’s, namely Linux, would it not be possible just to use a Genesis or N64 emulator that runs on Linux (if there are any) on the PS3 running that OS?

Sony have also stated that the PS3 hard-drive could conceivably run Windows (though I doubt Microsoft will make a Windows OS for a competing company) would that mean that I could run my emulators that run on my Windows PC on a hard-drived PS3 running Windows?

the_ghost

emu wizard
Robert said:

correct

because of the backward compatability with psx an ps2
i think it will be possible to run your favorite emulator on the ps3 (IMBnes, SNESstation, ect., ect.), as soon as theres a modchip out for it.

as for the windows/linux thing, only time will tell.

Last edited:

hagbard

Noboby talks about it, read the thread's name

Last edited:
LOL To emulate PS3 (sorry if it is off topic) IT would take a good6-7 years after launch. The PS2 is in its last days and so far we got emulators emulating it, but at 7-maybe 10 if lucky frames per secound. (FPS) i DOUBT WE WILL ever get a decent emulator for the ps3. just my 2 cents on that.

305soldier

hsdhaasd!
we'll get a decent PS3 emulator someday cuz technology keeps on advancing and someone will find a way to do whatever they need to make an emulator for these next-gen systems so you can't really say that we'll never get a good emulator.