Valkyrie Profile getting stuck

halcyon

Ive looked all over the place, but cant seem to find someone with the same problem. When i play valkyrie profile, at certain parts of the monologues (where the characters talk with voices), it gets stuck. Normally, the voice plays as the words appear. But sometimes the words appear, but no sound comes out. After that, nothing more happens. The screen just gets stuck with those words. The background music still plays and all.

The problem seems to relate to the framerate. If i remove the framerate limit and let it run as fast as it can, the problem occurs more often. If i limit it at 60, most of the problems are gone. Im using ePSXe 1.60, and have tried several different video plugins (such as P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.16 and Pete's D3D 1.75) and even bioses. Ive used several different settings and have been able to get past many of the places where it gets stuck, but at the part just after when Valkyrie first meets Aragrim near the beginning, i cant seem to get past it.

Has anyone had this problem, or know of any fixes? The problem is occuring right at the beginning, so i can only play about an hour's worth of the game. =\ Thanks.

montpics

Could you mind tell us your PC specs?

AFAIK, I was playing the Valkyrie Profile (Japanese or English) and it works fine with this 2 plugins that I used.

Pete's OpenGL2
Eternal SPU

Make sure that you enable the XA and CDDA sound which is found on sound configuration. :cool:

hagbard

Enable SPU IRQ hack option, in either Peops or Eternal SPU

montpics

hagbard said:
Enable SPU IRQ hack option, in either Peops or Eternal SPU
But mine works fine without enabling them. :confused:

You may try that if it helps.....

Last edited:

hagbard

If you read the Peops or Eternal SPU switches, you'll see SPU IRQ hack it's recommended for Valkyrie Profile and some others like MGS. I have VP NTSC-U, and the voices only work fine with SPU IRQ hack enabled, no matter if it's from real CD nor ISO. Maybe you're playing another version, but dunno if ohter versions are affected (NTSC-J, perhaps?)

montpics

Probably I forgot that one...... perhaps. (Amnesia? :p Since I'm getting forgeting important things easily.) Need to double check mine.

halcyon

oh, i doubt its a sound problem, since most of the time, the voice actually does play. It only gets stuck on a few specific parts. I thought it is a framerate problem, because if i change the framerate, other voices stop playing.

Anyway, here's my system specs:
processor: Pentium M
ram: 640 MB
graphics: Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
audio: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Anything else i need to list? Thanks.

hagbard

CPU speed, please ;)

Nah, probably your PC it's far enough to run ePSXe, but I'm not sure if your Gfx card (integrated) might have problems with some settings on OGL or D3D.
Are you playing from a real CD or an ISO? If it's real CD, I'd switch to Peops CDr plugin, then "autodetect" & "cpuasync" should help, also "Enable Accurate CD-ROM Timing". Otherwise, try to make an ISO either directly loaded or emulated through Daemon Tools, I like the last one as some games might not play correcctly from an ISO. GL :)

Last edited:

halcyon

Im running it on a ISO. I tried mounting it with daemon tools, but its still getting stuck. When i try to use the peops cd plugin, epsxe crashes when i do autodetect. Would the epsxe version matter? Im going to give it a try with 1.5.2.

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
:p happnd to me too :p
im playing from an iso

it gets stuck in that screen
(where the screen is black and the msgs are all there) ;)
:(
*music still plays and buttons are still working*
just cant get out of that black screen with text:confused:
(even if you push all buttons) :msn_pisse

Last edited:

halcyon

Leerz said:
:p happnd to me too :p

Happened? So did you find a solution? Mine still gets stuck. =\

Funny thing is that when i played valk profile a year ago on the same computer, it worked almost completely fine. It wasnt until midway through the game that the first problem came up. But now, it happens before i even hit the first dungeon. =\

bone

hello

Hi, I'm writing from Japan.
I've got a same problem as you.
I tried everything written here and
so as other places written in language I can read.
It's frustrating to be stuck in such a begining of the game, don't you think?

hagbard

I suppose you tried enable SPU IRQ hack, pEOps CDr Plugin, etc.
Are you playing from the original CD? I'd try to play from an ISO
And I'd try ePSXe version 1.5.2 (latest it's 1.6.0). Otherwise, PSXeven and SSSPSX are great emus to worth trying ;)

Last edited:

montpics

bone said:
Hi, I'm writing from Japan.
I've got a same problem as you.
I tried everything written here and
so as other places written in language I can read.
It's frustrating to be stuck in such a begining of the game, don't you think?
Could you specify which emulator and plugins you'd use? I personally play the game with ePSXe and PSXeven, and both emulators works fine.

Plugins I'd use :
Pete's OpenGL 2.6
Eternal SPU (you must click on Valkyrie Profile fixes)
SaPu CD plugin

Anything else? Please post here. ;)

hagbard

Give a try to SSSPSX, works great as long you don't change the default input & CDr plugins and use an ISO (cue-bin, ccd-img or iso format)

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
halcyon said:
Happened? So did you find a solution? Mine still gets stuck. =\

uhh no :eek:

Plugins Used
Petes OpenGL 1.7 (OMG its Version 2.6 alredy? :msn_pisse silly me!)
Eternal SPU Plugin (yes with the fixes)
SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.0
at ePSXe 1.6.0 :eek:

montpics

Leerz said:
Petes OpenGL 1.7 (OMG its Version 2.6 alredy? :msn_pisse silly me!)
That's the usual plugins that best for very decent graphic cards (Not too old and not too new). The one I mentioned is the latest that suits best for any latest graphic cards. :cool: