In-game music for ePSXe?

Salamander

I have no ingame music (whether playing from CD-Rom or ISO) for any of my games. FMV music and ingame sound effects are all fine: only the ingame music is missing. I'm using the Eternal SPU 1.30 plugin. Does anyone know how to correct this problem? :confused:

RileyRoper

My problem seems to be the exact opposite of yours... I posted my specs in my topic, so you should mosey on over there and have yourself a read! Maybe we can help eachother... :unsure:

Salamander

Ok, so what you're saying is you have ingame music but no sound effects and fmv sound? I just want to be sure I understand. I had a look at your specs. Looks like your machine definately isn't underpowered, so no issues there that I can see. You've got Pete's Open GL configured more or less the same way I do, except that I've got it at 16 bit colour (human eye can't really make out the difference anyway from 32 bit, and it means faster processing) and colour dithering.

I went out to get the Null driver to experiment. Frigging thing was difficult to find but I hunted it down. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem no matter how much I monkeyed with the config. In fact, the out-of-game music skipped like an LP on crack and I got a continuous loop of sound effect samples ingame, everything from screams to explosions. It was actually hilarious but I'm kind of left at square one.

I also don't know what you've got that allows ingame music based on your settings. It could be anything from choice of games to a weird driver configuration to playing from CD (whereas I'm trying to set up a small library of favourite ISOs). Let's get some expert help in here!

RileyRoper

yep... and I get sound for FMV's, it's just that it comes out sorta sputtery and fuzzy, but sounds fine during gameplay... I don't know what the problem could be :confused:

Salamander

"Sputtery and fuzzy" is a good description for how my sound quality changed when I experimented with the Null2 Audio Driver 1.3. When I switched back to Eternal SPU 1.30, overall play was significantly better. The only thing is the absence of ingame music. RR, seriously, try the Eternal driver if you haven't already and see if things get better.

Yes, Butters, XA sound is checked off, if that question was meant for me. The only option I've left off in the sound config dialog (you know, the four options outside of the interior config menu?) is Enable SPU IRQ hack, which I understand only applies to a few games I don't have. My other config options for Eternal are:

Buffer size: 8
Audio out Method: Thread
Misc- Show Realtime config window: Off
Wait for XA buffer is free: On (I found that sound ran too fast in my ISOs until I checked this off)
Fine Tune [-360 - 360]: 0
Special Game Fix - Update before accessing register: Off
SPU IRQ- Wait CPU action: Off
SPU IRQ- Force interruption flag7: Off

I've played with various configs in here and had no luck. I hope someone out there knows what I'm doing wrong!

montpics

Just a quick question, what games are you trying to play right now? There are certain games runs fine with the music and some are not. :cool:

Salamander

The game I'm playing the most of right now is Magic Carpet. I've also tried King's Field and TRs 1-3 (the TRs play from disk anyway). None of them have ingame music, regardless of whether I try the disk or the image.

montpics

Try click all on sound configuration. XA, CDDA, and so on..... And I believe there is 4 option there for you to click. :)

Salamander

I have tried all four of those options with no result. I leave SPU IRQ hack off by default (although I did try it and it didn't work).

montpics

There is a possibility that game is not 100% good on ePSXe IMO. Sorry, as I don't have that game to test it out myself. But you should try the other PS emulators as I did. ;)

Alternative to Eternal SPU plugin. ---> PEOPs SPU plugin or Andy SPU plugin.

Salamander

No need. As I mentioned in my other thread, I created .mdf/.mds files of Magic Carpet and the others, played them through Fantom CD's virtual drive, and now all have perfect ingame music. Your help has been invaluable. Thanks to all who contributed!

MrVLight

Missing -some- ingame music..

recently got epsxe as well as a xenogears iso

browsing through this forum and a few other places i figured out it's pretty simple to configure to run the game...infact i even got the video running so it looks like a normal psx, the sound...is choppy from time to time...that i can deal with, but the battle music is completely gone...just get a few high pitched squeaks here and there...what's odd is the SFX during the battle come through flawlessly

i'm somewhat of an emu newb, zsnes is the extent of my knowledge really, but i see you had problems with some game music and did something or other to fix it...could you explain how? :\

--i see everyone always asks so here's this info:
Video: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.14
Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41

saw a couple other xenogears threads suggesting a different video plugin, i tried that one too but it borked the sound even more, and the graphics didn't look very appealing, although it was most likely my lack of config know how

any help would be much appreciated.

montpics

Pretty much new as the latest.

Well, I did play the Xenogears using my usual plugins stated below which ran fine :

Pete's OpenGL Driver 2.6
Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41
SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.0

Then, I clicked all 4 options available from the sound configuration (where Enable XA or CDDA indicated)

Did you tried clicking the 4 options available? :)

montpics

Surely you are using ePSXe 1.6.0, right? Why don't you try PSXeven 0.18 or ePSXe 1.5.2 first while I am still thinking a way to solve it?

And the game speed runs fine as usual? Did you own it or downloading it (Just want to know though)?

MrVLight

yeah using 1.6.0

and the files were sent to me, straight off of the CDs, I'll try using an older version of the emulator then, and yeah, the game speed is all fine...everything plays the way it should...

Last edited:

MrVLight

well PSXeven completely solved the sound issues, infact the sound and graphics come through flawlessly

...but now the game runs at a crawl...not choppy or anything, getting a constant ~60fps...it just feels and sounds really bogged down

Edit: after toying around with a ton of the graphic plugins i found almost every one would either run super slow with the fps limit on at all (set to any number) or run way too fast with it turned off, one of the plugins actually ran the game alright with the frame skip thing turned on, but the FMVs got borked...

this normal? :p

Last edited: