What PC specs do I need to run RPCS3 at a consistent 60fps?

stebbinsd

For example, my PC is currently boasting an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of DDR4 Ram, and a Geforce GTX 1070ti. Should I be able to run a consistent 60fps? Or do I need to upgrade?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Emulation tips for best performance.

1) Always use intel
2) The only thing that matters is the CPU
3) Never use the latest version of windows.

That said, here are the Requirements

As of March 21, 2020, the emulator requires a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or later, a modern Linux distribution, or a modern BSD distribution. The PC must have at least 4 GB of RAM, an X86-64 CPU and a GPU supporting one of the supported graphics APIS: OpenGL 4.3 or greater and Vulkan, the latter being recommended.

I personally would not try any emulation on an AMD but you can try. I do not think you will get 60fps with that. Your best bet is always a i5 (or 7 if you want that for you daily PC MM needs) @ as close to 5GHz as you can. Over clocking will help. I'm rocking an old ass Gen 8 at 4.8GHz with no issues. Not expecting to get a solid 60fps but its very playable.

chaosblade02

For example, my PC is currently boasting an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of DDR4 Ram, and a Geforce GTX 1070ti. Should I be able to run a consistent 60fps? Or do I need to upgrade?

The minimum specs to get full speed in most games is Intel (Haswell) 4th Gen CPU, or AMD Ryzen CPU. I have a Ryzen 5 1600x, and every game I tried runs full speed, and more actually. Some games run 250-300fps if I turn the frame limiter off. It's a well optimized emulator. It actually runs faster than PCSX2 does.

Anyone with an AMD Ryzen 5 1600x CPU, equivalent or better should have no issues running RPCS3.

Every emulator I tried runs great on an AMD Ryzen CPU. So it's complete misinformation to suggest that emulation isn't good on AMD CPUs. The Intel CPUs are faster, if you want to uncap the frame rates for example, they're about 30% faster than AMD, but you still get full speed on emulators with AMD Ryzen chips. PCSX2 (PS2), Dolphin (GC/Wii), Cemu (Wii-U), RPCS3 (PS3), all run full speed on AMD Ryzen chips. On every game I played on those respective emulators. Played Xenoblade Chronicles X on Cemu last year, and it ran full speed on AMD Ryzen, even at 4k upscaled resolution, and the emulator probably runs faster now. Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia 1 & 2, and Demon's Souls and Dragon's Crown all ran full speed on RPCS3, although I had to make custom config files for some of those games to solve some minor issues, but they all ran at 4k upscaled for zero performance hit.... The tales games ran at 200fps+ in battles if I turned the frame limiter off....So yeah, these Ryzen chips are plenty good for emulation.

Last edited:

chaosblade02

Can I even play PS2 games on RPCS3?

It's possible some of them work, if you use the dumps from the PSN store. Check the compatibility list. Outside of running games that were on PS2 that happened to also be sold on the PS3's PSN store, I'd use PCSX2. With your specs, most any PCSX2 game will run full speed and a couple hundred FPS, or more if you uncap the frame rate. So I suggest just using PCSX2.

Games that work well on Vulkan all run at high speed on RPCS3. However, there are a few games that either won't boot, and or will crash, or will have massive glitches (unplayable) on Vulkan, that might work on another API that might not run full speed, but those games are flagged as yellow on the compatibility list. Star Ocean 5 for example.

Unlike with many emulator compatibility lists, the ones who manage the RPCS3's list do not flag games as "playable" that will not run full speed with minor glitches at worst. Every game I tried that was flagged as "playable" ran full speed. With a Ryzen 5 3600, you will get full speed on any game that's in the green on the RPCS3 compatibility list. You might have to make a custom config for a specific game, like the tales games ran at 30fps on the overworld, and ran 60fps in battles, so I had to make a custom config for that game for it to run properly.

Last edited:

lilysmiths

I was scanning for this information on the Internet for a long time, and I'm energetic that I have finally found it.

The minimum specs to get full speed in most games is Intel (Haswell) 4th Gen CPU, or AMD Ryzen CPU. I have a Ryzen 5 1600x, and every game I tried runs full speed, and more actually. Some games run 250-300fps if I turn the frame limiter off. It's a well optimized emulator. It actually runs faster than PCSX2 does.

Anyone with an AMD Ryzen 5 1600x CPU, equivalent or better should have no issues running RPCS3.

Every emulator I tried runs great on an AMD Ryzen CPU. So it's complete misinformation to suggest that emulation isn't good on AMD CPUs. The Intel CPUs are faster, if you want to uncap the frame rates for example, they're about 30% faster than AMD, but you still get full speed on emulators with AMD Ryzen chips. PCSX2 (PS2), Dolphin (GC/Wii), Cemu (Wii-U), RPCS3 (PS3), all run full speed on AMD Ryzen chips. On every game I played on those respective emulators. Played Xenoblade Chronicles X on Cemu last year, and it ran full speed on AMD Ryzen, even at 4k upscaled resolution, and the emulator probably runs faster now. Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia 1 & 2, and Demon's Souls and Dragon's Crown all ran full speed on RPCS3, although I had to make custom config files for some of those games to solve some minor issues, but they all ran at 4k upscaled for zero performance hit.... The tales games ran at 200fps+ in battles if I turned the frame limiter off....So yeah, these Ryzen chips are plenty good for emulation.

I agree with this opinion. thanks. What can you say about optimizing software such as Razor or any other optimizers?