how use BizHawk emulator?

cambalinho

i'm learning how use the BizHawk emulator, but i'm getting some problems:
1 - the Sega Saturn seems slow;
2 - i can't play Spectrum games.. i choose the game\rom, but i get the Spectrum screen error(i mean the black screen with vertical red lines.
can anyone explain more about these problems?
i use the BizHawk 2.3.1(x64) version

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Not sure that is maintained any longer. Saturn was always slow... Spectrum I never tried. Are you looking for an all in one emulator? If so try RetroArch.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It is just one of those things, RA is like a huge emulation operating system that does it all where BH is an attempt to make an all in one emulator. There are problems with that so RA decided to make it modular. With RA you just need to set it all up and the best way to do that is to watch the youtub how to set up RA stuff. The setup IMO is not all that confusing because there are auto find game tools built in, you just need to do work before you play it. Once done, it is a press right for system, down for game. They use the Ps3 style GUI that I'm not a fan of but it works. Emulation station I think is a better direction.

It comes down to this. You either want it simple and hope things work, or are wiling to learn a bit and make it all work. RA is a tool that will setup your controller, your roms, your emulators, and all the images in a nice little front end that in the end is a point and click tool to play a game. Ever second that goes by RA is being worked on by a team of over 200 developers. Where BH may get updated once every year (if it is even still updated).

cambalinho

the last BizHawk update was on 6 January of these year(2019).
the problem that i can see is just:
1 - Sega Saturn is slow... and you had seen these... maybe theres another way to control these..( the Yabause emulator is with a normal speed);
2 - i can't load Spectrum roms and i don't understand why :(

i don't want use the RA, because isn't like i need and i must see how it works... at least the BizHawk is more easy to use... it's just load the rom... it can knows what is the emulator automatic.
thank you so much for all

cambalinho

thank you so much.
ok.. the BizHawk have it's own firmwares, but can i use the Yabause firmware?(or others firmwares)
because the Yabause it's much more faster

pix07

Or use Higan :

higan is a multi-system emulator that began development on October 14th, 2004. It currently supports the following systems:

Famicom
Famicom Disk System
Super Famicom
Super Game Boy
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Player
SG-1000
SC-3000
Master System
Game Gear
Mega Drive
Mega CD
PC Engine
SuperGrafx
MSX
MSX2
ColecoVision
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
WonderSwan
WonderSwan Color
SwanCrystal
Pocket Challenge V2

https://byuu.org/emulation/higan

pix07

thank you so much.
ok.. the BizHawk have it's own firmwares, but can i use the Yabause firmware?(or others firmwares)
because the Yabause it's much more faster

Should works fine with correct bios.

cambalinho

i did, but stills slow and i don't know why...
the BizHawk Sega Saturn needs a better computer?
- i have nvidia geforce 103m 512(i think and go to RAM);
- cpu duo 2.1GHz with 4MB's cache.
- i use a SSD disk.
or it's a configuration wrong for my computer?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
the BizHawk Sega Saturn needs a better computer?
No its just not emulated well, saturn is very hard to emulate. No computer today is going to fix what is not competed. More work needs to be done n the core emulation. Bizhawk can not change that.

When it comes the emulation the only part that really matters is the CPU, the CPU is emulating everything. So go out and buy a 8th gen intel and hope for the best.

FYI: a duo 2.1GHz is really damn slow. If you are going to be emulating anything get with the times. A haswell chip is going to destroy that duo and have leftovers. And at that it is not that expensive.

Last edited:

cambalinho

i'm sorry but how i know what CPU is compatible with my motherboard?
now i have the Intel® Core™2 Duo T7500(better than before and was free).. but i was seen better but it's 4MB's(i belive of cache).. same than before.. that's why i don't see a diference lol

KAISY

It is just one of those things, RA is like a huge emulation operating system that does it all where BH is an attempt to make an all in one emulator. There are problems with that so RA decided to Bluestacks Lucky Patcher Kodi make it modular. With RA you just need to set it all up and the best way to do that is to watch the youtub how to set up RA stuff. The setup IMO is not all that confusing because there are auto find game tools built in, you just need to do work before you play it. Once done, it is a press right for system, down for game. They use the Ps3 style GUI that I'm not a fan of but it works. Emulation station I think is a better direction.

It comes down to this. You either want it simple and hope things work, or are wiling to learn a bit and make it all work. RA is a tool that will setup your controller, your roms, your emulators, and all the images in a nice little front end that in the end is a point and click tool to play a game. Ever second that goes by RA is being worked on by a team of over 200 developers. Where BH may get updated once every year (if it is even still updated).

, but i get the Spectrum screen error(i mean the black screen with vertical red lines.
can anyone explain more about these problems?
i use the BizHawk 2.3.1(x64) version

Last edited:

cambalinho

KAISY: i had the same problem before, but maybe i can help you:
1 - choose the game, like before;
2 - you will get that screen error;
3 - on menu, click on 'ZX Spectrum'... on submenu click on 'Core Emulation Settings'(a window is showed);
4 - on Emulated Machine combo box, you will see the Spectrum list.... choose 'ZXSpectrum128'... now reload the spectrum game again and see what happens ;)
if another game give you the same problem(after a positive test), try get the game again.
i hope helped you.. i had the same problem before

nelerein

It is just one of those things, RA is like a huge emulation operating system that does it all where BH is an attempt to make an all in one emulator. There are problems with that so RA decided to make it modular. With RA you just need to set it all up and the best way to do that is to watch the youtub how to set up RA stuff. The setup IMO is not all that confusing because there are auto find game tools built in, you just need to do work before you play it. Once done, MyColes it is a press right for system, down for game. They use the Ps3 style GUI that I'm not a fan of but it works. Emulation station I think is a better direction.

Pretty much useful. Thanks.

Last edited: