Emulator Problem: Controller sensitivity

GreenMetroid

I just got Ocarina of Time randomizer to work, and I'm having a little trouble with controller sensitivity. I'm using Bizhawk 2.5, and an Xbox One USB controller. I've tried messing with the "analog sensitivity" that goes up to 200% and -200%, and the dead zone that goes up to 50%. I also tried messing with the controller plugin for Glide64, under the "scale X" and "scale Y". They were originally set to 100,000 and changing it to a lower number seemed to have an effect, but not quite enough of a sensitivity decrease I'm looking for. Is there just no way to further decrease the sensitivity and I just gotta play without easily being able to walk or move slowly?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Is there just no way to further decrease the sensitivity and I just gotta play without easily being able to walk or move slowly?
Is the problem that you can not run but only walk? Or walk but not run. If so this is not sensitivity, its a range issue.

Most all controllers for PC/MAc have 255 levels. 0 to 128 to 256. This is the analog range. Just so happens that most all gaming consoles (that does not include thsoe xbox things) did this as well. So its a 1 to 1 match. Well n64 didn't...... Insted they do more of a 64 to 128 to 180 kind of thing. They didn't use a 8 bits, they used 7.

So what does that mean? It means you need to calibrate the controller to the game in the emulator. Some emulators have a "real range" feature like pj64 and other like mupen ( I think Bizhawk uses that engine) does not. The best way to fix this is to get an adaptive adapter like the Bliss-Box.net and buy a oem controller but not everyone has that kind of money.

To make matters worse the xbox has a range of 16 bits.... Completely unnecessary IMO but whatever. In this case you are almost SOL. Its like shouting in to the ear of a person with the worlds best hearing. The emulator has no idea what to do with such large numbers. DX is trying to down sample the 16 bits to 8, and the n64 game is trying 7 bits.

Short answer get rid of the xbox controller or use another emulator.

Last edited: