Thread: I need help with MAME...

Default I need help with MAME...

I've tried reading some guides but they're all confusing and tell me to do things without telling why and then those things end up being useless as the guide moves on in a confusing down spiral that leads me nowhere. How do I emulate one of these?? I don't care if your version is complicated, but as long as it's organized by steps and explains what it's doing, it'll help me. I installed the ROMs for Pac-Man and am running the default MAME emulator on the latest version of RetroPie. One guide said something about verifying and rebuilding but that just gave me even more files and nothing to do with them. I've tried dragging the folder the ROMs came in (also tried a compressed version), dragging the ROMs themselves, and dragging the whole mess after rebuilding it into the MAME ROMs folder on my RetroPie. None of these worked, and it also leads me to another question as there are multiple folders in the MAME folder and I don't know if they're supposed to go in one of those. HELP ME!!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: I need help with MAME...

According to this: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Arcade The latest version of mame for Retropie is based on MAME 0.78. That page also includes a link to a DAT file so you can verify things.

The problem with MAME is that it requires specific versions of roms, and those may change each time the emulator is updated. Granted, pac man games are pretty old and will probably not be updated you can use the DAT file from that page, along with a software like CLRmame Pro to verify your rom files.

The summed up version is this:

1. You need to have roms compatible with the MAME version you are using (this is why you verify)
    2. Always keep MAME roms in ZIP files (1 zip per game, each game will have many smaller rom files)

To me at least it seems that you were simply missing a few files.

Thread Information