Do someone have Raspberry Pi?

esty

Recently saw the video about Raspberry Pi. I was really impressed. Never heard about such thing before. So.. I was just wondering is it that good? As far as I remember it is used as web server, vpn server, video game console... anything else?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I do not own one but I have researched it enough because I am interested in getting one.

If you wish to build your own "console" then you will be happy to know that it can play up to playstation 1 really well. As for systems like PSP and Dreamcast better check the compatibility lists for specific games. Also MAME and Final Burn run well when it comes to arcade.

Controller wise you have many options which you should also research but things like xbox controllers and the Dual Shock 4 work fine.

All of the above depends on the software. The most popular "all in one" packages are:
https://retropie.org.uk (retroarch + a few more things)
https://www.recalbox.com (retroarch + a few more things)
http://www.lakka.tv (just retroarch)

belmont

I have one (Pi 3 with the Official Case) but I have not used that much.

The general idea is that most retro consoles are emulated very good. From the all in one solutions I prefer Retropie.
As far as PSP is concerned some heavy 3d games are not emulated well. I never tried Dreamcast. There is a good new DS core also.

It is easy to set up, the retropie site has analytical info. You can use Dual Shock 3 and 4 and any generic USB pad I tried worked.

The first time I tried it I had major issues but I changed the micro SD to a faster better one and works fine. You can have boxarts and descriptions with the roms. Generally I would not recommend Pi 3 for othe uses like Coding in a Linux environment or media player, too slow for those.

esty

Thank you for your replies! Good to know, especially about the PlayStation. I am also doing the research right now. If I get smth good, I will let you know

esty

The general idea is that most retro consoles are emulated very good. From the all in one solutions I prefer Retropie.
As far as PSP is concerned some heavy 3d games are not emulated well. I never tried Dreamcast. There is a good new DS core also.

It is easy to set up, the retropie site has analytical info. You can use Dual Shock 3 and 4 and any generic USB pad I tried worked.

The first time I tried it I had major issues but I changed the micro SD to a faster better one and works fine. You can have boxarts and descriptions with the roms. Generally I would not recommend Pi 3 for othe uses like Coding in a Linux environment or media player, too slow for those.

Thanks for info. What about Windows. Is it ok?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
A windows pc? That is not a problem, it is all about what you want to emulate and what hardware requirements the emulator has (mostly applies to newer systems).

Malina

Paspberry pi now can be nice retro console amulator without installing tonns of software, im using it with "Lakka" and love it! all emulators in one place and i dont need to setup gamepads and other things, all works good

KAISY

. I was really impressed. Never heard about such thing before. So.. I was just wondering is it that good? As far as I remember it is used as web server, vpn server, video game console... anything else?

KAISY

. I was really impressed. Never heard about such thing before. So..audacity find my iphone origin I was just wondering is it that good? As far as I remember it is used as web server, vpn server, video game console... anything else?

Mckenzie

micro SD I also had difficulties in the beginning with it. I tried everything I could for what would do what would it work again and ve for some reason did not come out. then my friend came to me and suggested that you need to change here
 some thing and then it will get better. I naturally changed but I can't remember what that's called, but ve live has changed quite a Sino

Works if you don't do too much multitasking and know how to set up a desktop that is frugal with ressources. There's a surprising amount of software available for Debian on ARM.