mupen64plus FZ save problems

Sleeps1

I have been playing Paper Mario 64 for about a week or so and after loosing my place several times and having to start over I learned how to save the game using the save slots. That was working fine for a day or so but now it seems to randomly decide to save the game or not when I select save. I have the rom on a SD card and am playing it via mupen64plusFZ on my sheild TV. I made it to a certain point yesterday and then decided to stop playing and I saved the game to slot 0 like I have always been doing and this morning when I loaded slot 0 it started me at a point I had saved it a while before, right before I fight the fake bowser/4 turtle guys. (if that makes sense). I even played with it a little and saved to slot 0, walked mario around a little and loaded slot 0 but it didn't change anything. How can I fix this and possibly make it more reliable so I don't have to play the same parts of the game over and over again?

It also does this with other games I have played, its like it just decides not to save my game and there is no way to know until I go to load the game and discover I have to redo tons of long drawn out missions again. Keep in mind that I am brand new to emulators. I recently discovered them and have been playing games I used to play as a kid back in the day.