How to play console games on M.A.M.E.?.

hhisc29926

Hello!, thank you for reading my thread/post/inquiry. I have a Sega Genesis game that can not be played with Kega Fusion (so, please do not suggest me to use it), and have read that it can be played with M.E.S.S.. It happens that M.E.S.S. is now combined with M.A.M.E., then I downloaded M.A.M.E. 0.188 (the latest version) 64-bit for Windows from MAMEDEV.org.. I can play arcade games with that, but do not know how to play N.E.S. or Genesis games on it, I put some R.O.M.s in the "roms" folder of MAME, then what should I do now? (I can only see the arcade games on the emulator, not the N.E.S. nor Genesis R.O.M.s). I have researched the internet for hours, and all I find is complicated stuff full with strange (weird) technical words and instructions that I do not understand, as I am not a developer, nor a programmer nor something like that, and that does not help me at all. I will appreciate if someone is kind enough to explain me in a clear, understandable way what to do without writing such comments as "Google it!" or "You should now that" (if I knew it I would not be posting my question). Thank you very much for your comprehension and help.

pix07

:happy: silly nes and genesis have other emulator there is no posibility tu run nes o mame it could be but there need be driver for nes files : .fds,nes.unf
genesis also have other emulator
best emulator for nes is punes
and i now find other new emulator try it
on other site is higly rated take latest version 2.14
im not giving links to games i know tons of sites with roms
http://www.gens.me/downloads.shtml
there is tons of emulators but you need know how find it
latest is retroarch with cores
i adding screenshot
lunar3.jpg

Last edited:

hhisc29926

Hello!, thank you for your quick answer; it is not common to find answers here, as it appears that very few people visit this forum (or want to help).

The game that is causing me trouble is "Pier Solar and the Great Architects" (that is the one which originated this whole situation). The game can not be played on Gens (I installed it and did not work, even after lots of tweaking, and also have read that it can not be played on Gens). I installed Retroarch also, but do not know how to make it run that game (in the case that it will be able to do it) or any other game . There is very little information on the internet about Retroarch (other than very technical and weird information), and I do not even know if Retroarch is an emulator itself or if it s an emulator manager. I have read on different sites that the game can be played with M.E.S.S. (which is now combined with M.A.M.E.), but do not know how to make M.E.S.S. (I have a former version) nor M.A.M.E. (which now includes M.E.S.S.) run it. I have read also that none of the latest versions of M.E.S.S. or M.A.M.E. need B.I.O.S. for N.E.S. nor Genesis (in the case that by "drivers" you meant "B.I.O.S.").

I still would like to use M.A.M.E. with N.E.S. and Genesis games, but all the information I have found during many hours and days of researching is too complicated. The people who post that information either want to brag about their knowledge, or post it just to their fellow developers/programmers, or do not have the knowledge for typing the information in easy and understandable terms. I think (and can be sure about it) that there are thousands (or perhaps millions) of people around the world that would like to use such emultators, but because the information about them is presented in such a complicated way, the big mayority of the people can not use and enjoy such good programs. It is my hope that I will find someone nice enough as to explain me how to use M.A.M.E. (or at least M.E.S.S.) with console games, or at least to direct me to a site made for the average person, so that I will understand the instructions.

Thank you very much for all your help (dziękuję).

pix07

INFORMATIONS ABOUT GENS

Gens works on Win9X, it needs Directx 7.0 or higher.

It has following features:
- Windowed / Fullscreen mode with scanline and severals graphics engines
- Joystick support
- Netplay
- Save / Load State support (10 slots at the same format as genecyst / Dgen)
- SRAM support (saved in .srm file)
- BRAM support (saved in .brm file)
- Complete sound support (YM2612, PCM, PGS 76489, DAC) in 16 bits stereo at 11025 / 22050 / 44100 Hz
- Configurations files support
- ZIP support
- And a lot of others nice features...

The compatibility of gens is very good :
- 92% of games work perfectly.
- 5% of games are playables with few glitches.
- 3% of games are unplayables.
www.gens.me/download/gens-win32-bin-2.14.zip

pix07

Hello!, thank you for your quick answer; it is not common to find answers here, as it appears that very few people visit this forum (or want to help).

The game that is causing me trouble is "Pier Solar and the Great Architects" (that is the one which originated this whole situation). The game can not be played on Gens (I installed it and did not work, even after lots of tweaking, and also have read that it can not be played on Gens). I installed Retroarch also, but do not know how to make it run that game (in the case that it will be able to do it) or any other game . There is very little information on the internet about Retroarch (other than very technical and weird information), and I do not even know if Retroarch is an emulator itself or if it s an emulator manager. I have read on different sites that the game can be played with M.E.S.S. (which is now combined with M.A.M.E.), but do not know how to make M.E.S.S. (I have a former version) nor M.A.M.E. (which now includes M.E.S.S.) run it. I have read also that none of the latest versions of M.E.S.S. or M.A.M.E. need B.I.O.S. for N.E.S. nor Genesis (in the case that by "drivers" you meant "B.I.O.S.").

I still would like to use M.A.M.E. with N.E.S. and Genesis games, but all the information I have found during many hours and days of researching is too complicated. The people who post that information either want to brag about their knowledge, or post it just to their fellow developers/programmers, or do not have the knowledge for typing the information in easy and understandable terms. I think (and can be sure about it) that there are thousands (or perhaps millions) of people around the world that would like to use such emultators, but because the information about them is presented in such a complicated way, the big mayority of the people can not use and enjoy such good programs. It is my hope that I will find someone nice enough as to explain me how to use M.A.M.E. (or at least M.E.S.S.) with console games, or at least to direct me to a site made for the average person, so that I will understand the instructions.

other emulators :
Chankast

Dreamemu

nulldc

try with those

play nes and genesis on mame and mess its not posible im not tell about bios but driver
driver is part of code of emulator wich load bios also crypt/decrypt rom(graphic and audio) such feature is in mame and in mess
im dont know how write it more clearly
drivers are wirten in C++ or maybe C im dont remember
also cpu emulation is needed (of existing console)
more knowledge have developers thats why they sent you there
for retroarch is need write a new core (complexed build in emulator) then retroarch load core
each core is emulator of its own but can be loaded only by retroarch program.
not applicable ffmpeg

Last edited:

hhisc29926

Hello!, I wish to thank you for your ideas, and as a courtesy, I am writing this message to you, as this is the very first time in many years that I receive an answer here, because I have posted several times before, and hundreds of people read my questions, but nobody has had any interest to help, even with very simple things as to how to use Game Genie with an emulator.

So, I am writing to let you know that M.A.M.E. and M.E.S.S. can emulate game consoles, such as all the systems of Atari, all (or almost all) the systems of Sega, all the systems of Nintendo up to Nintendo 64, Play Station 1, calculators and hundreds of other consoles/systems. Please stop writing that it is not possible, and get informed first. To start, you can go here: http://mamedev.org/, and as the sites states: "MAME now documents a wide variety of (mostly vintage) computers, video game consoles and calculators, in addition to the arcade video games that were its initial focus.". You can find a full list of supported systems in M.E.S.S. here: https://www.mess.org/supported_systems. I have finally been able to run the game "Pier Solar and the Great Architects" with M.A.M.E. (which now has absorbed M.E.S.S.), and I have read so far that that game can only be played with M.E.S.S. (or now with M.A.M.E.). So, how come that you keep writing that console games can not be played with M.E.S.S. nor M.A.M.E. and I have played so many already (N.E.S., S.N.E.S., Genesis, Sega Master System, GameBoy Advance and others)?. Informe yourself first before you write/comment, that is my advise. And again, thank you very much for your help.

hhisc29926

Hello!, I wish to thank you for your ideas, and as a courtesy, I am writing this message to you, as this is the very first time in many years that I receive an answer here, because I have posted several times before, and hundreds of people read my questions, but nobody has had any interest to help, even with very simple things as to how to use Game Genie with an emulator.

So, I am writing to let you know that M.A.M.E. and M.E.S.S. can emulate game consoles, such as all the systems of Atari, all (or almost all) the systems of Sega, all the systems of Nintendo up to Nintendo 64, Play Station 1, calculators and hundreds of other consoles/systems. Please stop writing that it is not possible, and get informed first. To start, you can go here: http://mamedev.org/, and as the sites states: "MAME now documents a wide variety of (mostly vintage) computers, video game consoles and calculators, in addition to the arcade video games that were its initial focus.". You can find a full list of supported systems in M.E.S.S. here: https://www.mess.org/supported_systems. I have finally been able to run the game "Pier Solar and the Great Architects" with M.A.M.E. (which now has absorbed M.E.S.S.), and I have read so far that that game can only be played with M.E.S.S. (or now with M.A.M.E.). So, how come that you keep writing that console games can not be played with M.E.S.S. nor M.A.M.E. and I have played so many already (N.E.S., S.N.E.S., Genesis, Sega Master System, GameBoy Advance and others)?. Informe yourself first before you write/comment, that is my advise. And again, thank you very much for your help.

pix07

you welcome thank you for info im not watching mess and mame progress i have still many things to learn

Last edited:

kturner

Have you tried downloading the rom from a different site. Maybe its a bad download? If I remember this weekend I'll see if I have that game and try it on mine and see if it works. Out of all the emulators Sega has kicked my butt the most. Be patent with pix07, he knows a lot but he is from Poland and he is still learning English but he is more than willing to help.

Eddie82

The emulator Final Burn Alpha version 0.2.97.43 have support for the game you want! At least it is what their website says. Good luck!

KAISY

E, then what should I do now? (I can only see the arcade games on the emulator, not the N.E.S. nor Genesis R.O.M.s). I have researched the internet for hours, and all I find is complicated stuff full with strange (weird) technical words and instructions that I do not understand, as I am not a developer, nor a programmer nor something like that, and that does not help me at all. I will appreciate if someone is kind enough to explain me in a clear, understandable way what to do without writing such comments as "Google it!" or "You should now that" (if I knew it I would not be posting my question). Thank you very much for your comprehension and help.

KAISY

E, then what should I do now? (I can only see the arcade games on the emulator, not the N.E.S. nor Genesis R.O.M.s). I have researched the internet for hours, and all I find is complicated stuff full with strange (weird) FileZilla UC Browser Rufus technical words and instructions that I do not understand, as I am not a developer, nor a programmer nor something like that, and that does not help me at all. I will appreciate if someone is kind enough to explain me in a clear, understandable way what to do without writing such comments as "Google it!" or "You should now that" (if I knew it I would not be posting my question). Thank you very much for your comprehension and help.

pix07

@embertrizzer For MAME you need correct bios,corect rom version and correct mame version.

Also if you will be playing in all games mame bios pack.

You will find it by google.

On one version of mame dont work other mame roms.

Bios with roms should be in correct path for example roms folder.

You just open mame gui for example:

http://www.mameui.info/

Press f5 to refresh or choose option audit all games.

Have fun. :)

Try changing the emulator first. Perhaps the problem is in it. If the problem is still not solved, then download the appropriate drivers. When I was trying to create my server in Minecraft, I mistakenly downloaded pre-made builds connected to free hosting. There are a lot of nuances on this list. In the end, I just switched to publicly available and verified servers. It was easier, faster, and safer to play that way. I would advise you to consult a professional on this matter. There may be details that we may be missing.

Last edited: