Is my computer good enough?

Dylzup

My computer has a AMD Phenom II X4 805 CPU (2.5 clock speed with 4 cores). It has a dead awful graphics card that can run N64 games but has occasional stutter. I am getting a new PC next year but I was wondering if in the mean time I got Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB I would be able to run gamecube and wii games without lag.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Hey there! If you get a gtx 1060 but dont upgrade your cpu, you might not get much better performance from the emulator since emulation is usually cpu heavy. What I would suggest is to try to upgrade your cpu as well, I think there are a few other CPUs that you can choose from with the AM3 (Not AM3+) socket that would get you reasonable performance.

Dylzup

Ok. What If I got the new 1060 3GB (my current graphics card is basically nonexistent) and a Pentium G4620 3.7GHz Dual Core? How much could that handle? (I would also get a new mother board to be able to use a better CPU) I will most likely reuse the new parts when I build a gaming PC next year.

Last edited:

Dylzup

Also thank you for your help. I am new to emulating but I have always loved Nintendo games and Legend of Zelda. I am pretty young (High School) and know a lot about computers for my age but not enough to be able to be sure about decisions like this.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Its always good thing to know something of computers, we are well into the computer age after all ;)