Breath of the Wild!

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Hello there fellas, I know I haven't been very active lately, my work has been eating me up, but playing Breath of the Wild has really improved my mood and my will to participate in forums. Now, Im no where near beating the game, more like just started (22.5 hours according to my wii u) and I am loving every second of it. Have you guys played it yet? and if not, will you be waiting to get a switch, or will you jump the gun and go for the wii u version instead?

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to play it, but I don't have a Wii U, so at this time I'd probably want a Switch instead. But my problem with the Switch at the moment is that beyond Zelda there are so few good games for it (that I'd like to play).

The other problem I have is my backlog, I have so many games I still need to even start playing that I find it harder and harder to find excuses to buy more games :p

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I'd like to play it, but I don't have a Wii U, so at this time I'd probably want a Switch instead. But my problem with the Switch at the moment is that beyond Zelda there are so few good games for it (that I'd like to play).

The other problem I have is my backlog, I have so many games I still need to even start playing that I find it harder and harder to find excuses to buy more games :p
Very reasonable! I too only wanted Zelda atm so I am waiting for an excuse to buy the switch, probably during the summer. I too have a massive backlog of games to play, mostly rpgs haha. I honestly hate paying for new games, 60 dollars retail has always bothered me mostly because Im not made of money (at least not yet :p). Thats half the reason half of my consoles are modded for burned back ups and different loading methods. If you don't mind me asking, what are some games that are at the front of your backlog? for me its its Tales of Phantasia (ps1), Shining Force III, and Twilight Princess HD.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
As a proud WiiU owner (yes those exist, imagine that!) I do not have the game yet.

I do plan to get the switch at some point but I would rather wait for a few more games to come out yet. I got the wiiu in the first 3 months after release and the only bad thing was the game drought.

Purely zelda wise though, if you like open world, puzzles and do not mind some destroyable weapons go for it :)

Also in regards to modding, the wiiU has been hacked just make sure you do not run the latest firmware(not sure of the version) and have an external HD ready. Minimum 1 GB. I would rather not hack it as I also own a few games digitally :(

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't mind me asking, what are some games that are at the front of your backlog?
No specific game at the moment, the game I play the most (easily a few hours a day on average) right now is EVE Online and being an open-ended mmo doesn't help "moving on" to other games.

All this Zelda talk did make me put Ocarina 3D into my 3DS to give it a go, but not sure how far I'll get with it before losing interest (which is a recurring problem for me with Zelda games, I have like nearly all of them but never finished one).

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
So er, guess what I bought a week ago.

And yes the problem I have right now is that Zelda is my only game for it. It took a few days to get into (basically you have to accept you're going to die a lot, especially in the beginning), but I have now and damn it's good. Waaaaay different from Ocarina of Time in terms of how the world works. Considering how large the world seems to be and how slow my progression through it at the moment is, I can play this game for many more hours so for now it's not a huge deal I don't have more games yet. I like that so far all puzzles in shrines are not necessarily easy, but totally "doable" without a guide. The main problem I have right now is that stuff (weapons, bows, shields) breaks too fast at the moment and I can't find a steady supply of good weapons (drops from enemies are shit), but I hope that'll improve.

(That said, I have Lego City Undercover coming in hopefully this week, and have pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 and Disgaea 5... but after that things look a bit bleak at the moment. Popularity wise the Switch seems to be doing good so I hope it'll get more games announced for it soon)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I wanted to get a switch but they were impossible to find. For the fun of It I tried cemu... Wow.

Ok first, the emulation is near perfect. but for the first time in my life FUK emulation. By that I mean, I could careless what they can do emulation-wize because this is the best game I have played since Super metroid. I mean props to the cemu team, they really did it. I don't even need or want a switch because of what they did. So my hats off to them, my focus is on BOTW. Emulation or not, I don't care.

This game if massive! Always keeping something to be desired and new. I don't even need to look anything up online because you can turn left instead of right and play a new journey. I mean I have 8 hearts and I'm buying my house in the game and my friend has 22 hearts and he just bought his home. You can play the east, or the west and its a different game. You can climb any where you want, and go anywhere you want. You can earn money by hunting, mining, or playing contest. Did you see the map? Its 4 times the size you think it is.

I see me playing this game all year long and the best part for me is my son (6 years old) is playing it with me. The graphics are simply amazing and the physics is like nothing I have ever played. Real wind effects, lighting, rain, snow, cooking... its like A Zelda Sim game in hyrule. If I can save my progress on a card and buy a switch I would.

Oh yeah there is one bad thing, no beeping for lo hearts, just a single beep. I knew there was something I would not like about it. LOL.

The main problem I have right now is that stuff (weapons, bows, shields) breaks too fast at the moment and I can't find a steady supply of good weapons (drops from enemies are shit), but I hope that'll improve.
Yeah this is a bit of an issue I would agree. What you need to do is keep an inventory of the basics. Every point in the game that you need a tool (torch) it is near by, So no need to hold those. Just drop a weapon go get it, and come back. It is also very wise to get a place to live. When you get weapons and you are full drop them off at "home". Then come back and get the weapon you could not hold. Also doing the "The Priceless Maracas" bit gives you more inventory slots and that helps. Of course there are perm weapons from the divine beasts...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
BOTW has been solid so far, but i still miss Majora's Mask. That was my all time favourite
Begging for intelligent conversation. - I say that because I want what I say to be very clear this is in good taste and not to argue. I also find this very interesting to me because I like to get other peoples points of view and MM is next to my most hated Zelda (The Adventure of Link) game.

That said here is what I think of MM. I played the game after OOT thinking it would be just as fun only to find it nothing like Zelda. i've played almost all zelda's (no gameboy advance and DS games.) I must say this is the worst zelda game i've ever played, it's so confusing I feel like all I do is a fetch quest after a fetch quest just to get inside the first damn temple. I feel like none of the zelda attractions are in this game. what is a termina? where is princess zelda and ganondorf? the stupid kid with a mask on and a giant moon? You barely have time to explore for secrets and stock up on ammo/items? If i do, i lose them all by playing the song of time? Where are the secrets and puzzles? It seemed to me like they just re-skinned the OOT and stripped out the cool stuff for a quick sale.

There were some interesting new things, like turning in to things. nintendo can produce fun games and I see the appeal for the game it'self but not for a Zelda game. Yes ? I know Nintendo does this sort of think like Mario Sunshine. Off beats are part of what they do but saying this is the best Zelda is very strange because its anything but Zelda. Well, that's my two cents. So why did you like it?

Last edited:

whereishe

That said here is what I think of MM. I played the game after OOT thinking it would be just as fun only to find it nothing like Zelda. i've played almost all zelda's (no gameboy advance and DS games.) I must say this is the worst zelda game i've ever played, it's so confusing I feel like all I do is a fetch quest after a fetch quest just to get inside the first damn temple. I feel like none of the zelda attractions are in this game. what is a termina? where is princess zelda and ganondorf? the stupid kid with a mask on and a giant moon? You barely have time to explore for secrets and stock up on ammo/items? If i do, i lose them all by playing the song of time? Where are the secrets and puzzles? It seemed to me like they just re-skinned the OOT and stripped out the cool stuff for a quick sale.

I can address these as best as i can :)

I absolutely loved the time travel and end of the world scenario. It's basically two stories in one, save the world from the impending moon while stopping the villian... so cool. Every Zelda game has fetch quests... so I see no difference there. I didn't find it confusing, but it does require a bit more thought than other Zeldas IMO, something that I loved.

I liked the break from Zelda and Ganondorf, it's boring having the same villain and damsel in distress. The skull kid wanted power, he got it, and couldnt control it. A real fascinating villain with a great backstory.

Termina... i dunno, a different place that's not Hyrule I guess.

Oh come on, stocking up on ammo/items takes a few seconds in Zelda. You can save your money at least, so buying/finding items doesnt take long. Nice to start fresh anyway.

The ability to change the game via masks is so unique. I loved the side stories and using the masks was a real joy. Some of the stories were truly heartbreaking.

Where are the secrets and puzzles? seriously? Like...everywhere :/ Not sure what you mean.

It seemed to me like they just re-skinned the OOT and stripped out the cool stuff for a quick sale... LOL. Nothing like that.

i just adored the darker story, the characters, the quests, and the boss fights. 10/10 every time.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
whereishe. thx for the feedback. Most of what you said just shows how fun the game is, and I take no credit in dismissing that. I didn't like it much but I could easily see people liking the game. I guess to me its just too far of an off shoot. To says it's the best Zelda is still discrediting all that Zelda is.

Ok, let me put it this way then. If you like MM the best out of all the Zelada games, then you need not to play Zelda because it's the least common to the original Zelada base line.

Last edited:

whereishe

Thing is... I absolutely loved Ocarina, Windwaker not so much, Twilight Princess was okay, Skyward Sword was epic, and Breath is just stunning... but MM will always have the biggest impact on me. Nothing will beat the last few minutes of the world ending, and you're dashing around the night while the clock ticks, the music is so sad and beautiful. It's moments like that that make the game...more than a game. I love that they tried something different. I hope there will be similar exploration of the Zelda franchise in the future.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Thing is... I absolutely loved Ocarina, Windwaker not so much, Twilight Princess was okay, Skyward Sword was epic, and Breath is just stunning... but MM will always have the biggest impact on me.
I'd agree note for note, but my impact was it sucked LOL. Never once did I doubt it was different, more to my point actually. I think they do a lot of different games actually. Adventure of link was very different. Minish cap, ah yeah... and ww, loved them all. Didn't really like that 4 sword thing. And never got to play the one were you trace the path with a stylus. IMO that was just a bit too kiddie like.

Thx for the insight and I will agree it was the biggest off shot (different) of the bunch. Though nothing beats A Link to the Past in my mind. Though my basis of compare is always bias towards the first.

Last edited:

whereishe

I never played the SNES versions... so can't really compare.

Ha, i was watching these glitches for MM. I never knew about any of these :D Feel like replaying again and trying them out.