Current generation console emulation scams

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Time for an update on this topic. Emulating current generation consoles is either still in the very early stages or not really possible yet (depending on the console). So if some site claims to have a fully working and playable PS4 or Xbox One emulator, it is a scam so avoid them.

Progress on Wii U, PS3 and 3DS emulators is advancing but don't expect many games to be fully playable at the moment. Progress on Xbox (original) and Xbox 360 emulators is slow.

Emulation can be hit or miss when it comes to how well supported a console is, so if in doubt ask on our forum or places like /r/emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, RPCS3 is doing slow steady steps, some games will run but not the very complex ones. Considering that a few years ago people were saying that PS3 emulation would be close to impossible because of how complex the hardware is.

Cemu on the other hand is making leaps. The "private" version available through their patreon just added DLC support so that extra content in games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers will be accessible without nasty hackjobs (like replacing files).

As a personal note, the fact that Cemu is making so much money through donations might mean some bad news if other emulator authors decide to go closed source on their projects or if it attracts some more bad attention from the game companies themselves.

I just wish we had some progress on the original xbox like with have with PS1 and PS2, that console had some nice games that can be considered true gems :(

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I was actually gonna ask this in a few days since much progress has been made in emulation since 2012 onward, glad it got updated. I would also like to see the original xbox get more emu support :D Luckily I already have an xbox modded with a bigger hard drive to play all the great games, but a more up to date emulator would be great for preservation.

Last edited:

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the amount money Cemu is raking in per month is astounding. Makes you wonder what the hell they're doing with all that money - they could afford to have a team of developers working full-time on it at that rate.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
yeah no kidding. with all I read and know, I get it but I just don't see how that is legal. They are clearly making money on Nintendos expense. I have to admit it's an impressive emulator.

Xbox is one of those "think outside the box" emulators. It's not really possible to emulate a computer like that on a computer. We need to get a little more powerful... The xbox is just a fancy windows box. I forget his name but the emulator author here on this board makes an "interpreter" instead of an emulator. I think he is on the right track. But the interest is gone, who wants an xbox? Sure it's nice to know we emulated it but not much interest out there anymore.

Last edited:

BusterMo

yeah no kidding. with all I read and know, I get it but I just don't see how that is legal. They are clearly making money on Nintendos expense. I have to admit it's an impressive emulator.

Xbox is one of those "think outside the box" emulators. It's not really possible to emulate a computer like that on a computer. We need to get a little more powerful... The xbox is just a fancy windows box. I forget his name but the emulator author here on this board makes an "interpreter" instead of an emulator. I think he is on the right track. But the interest is gone, who wants an xbox? Sure it's nice to know we emulated it but not much interest out there anymore.

I think you're right, I'd be interested but I don't think that many others would be.

KAISY

KAISY

yeah no kidding. with all I read and know, I get it but I just don't see how that is le auto clicker word unscrambler jumble solver gal. They are clearly making money on Nintendos expense. I have to admit it's an impressive emulator.