Getting controllers for Nestopia

heyjudek

Hi folks, I have a rather simple problem here. I have tried playing Nes games offline with a friend of mine, but unfortunately we couldn't have an enjoyable experience due to automatic drops, desyncs, etc.
So I decided to rather play offline but with the help of controllers. Is there anything I need to keep in mind or would any generic USB controller work? How hard is it to configure the buttons, etc.
I know it is kind of a rookie question but I don't have any experience in dealing with this.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Any controller recognized by windows should work fine. You just need to configure the emulator after you plug it in.

heyjudek

Any controller recognized by windows should work fine. You just need to configure the emulator after you plug it in.

That's good to know :)
Just curious I see SNES controllers that is also supposed to work with windows, would this make a difference? Or should I get one specifically advertised as a NES controller?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
It comes down to 4 choices that make sense really.

1) Get one over all controller for all emulators. The issue here is the button layouts and labels get annoying.
2) get a few to cover most all emulators. For example a psx and n64 controller.
3) get a few matches. If you only want to emulate a few things, get a controller for that system.
4) Get one adapter that does it all and but the controller you want. Like this.

So for example if you buy the snes and the nes game says hit A, that is actually the Y on the snes.

Last edited:

heyjudek

Well, my main goal is NES games but if I get a more complex controller I assume I can configure it any way I want right?
I would prefer a controller like this - "ZD Vibration Feedback USB Game Controller Gamepad Joystick for PC Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10)", PS3 and Android
Can't post links, if you google, it will come up in amazon ;)

It has more than enough buttons for NES and other emulators if I want to.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I also assume there is no problem with configuring 2 controllers in Nestopia right? :)

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
two controller should work.

Your link says "Support Plug and Play, only for PC games supporting Xinput mode " this would not work for pc emulators. Really for emulators you want to look in to the controller to usb solutions. Say you really like sega saturn controllers. Well then get a may flash. https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Sega-Saturn-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0089O10BC This is not much good for analog games though. An all in one controller will be limiting, not the best idea but if all you want is nes, then not much is needed.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
xinput controllers work just fine in Nestopia as well. xinput just generally means any xbox compatible USB controller connected to a windows pc. In that case yes, the xbox360 controller can be configured in Nestopia just fine!

309hmxi.png

heyjudek

Oh, thanks for the heads-up guys :)
If Xbox controllers would work just fine then I'm settling on these "Official Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows - Black (PC)"
amazon.de/Xbox-Controller-geeignet-Windows-schwarz/dp/B004JU0JSK
Anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited:

KAISY

Well, my main goal is NES games but if I get a more complex controller I assume I can configure it any way I want right?
I would prefer a controller like this - "ZD Vibration Feedback filezilla uc browser rufus)", PS3 and Android
Can't post links, if you google, it will come up in amazon ;)

It has more than enough buttons for NES and other emulators if I want to.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I also assume there is no problem with configuring 2 controllers in Nestopia right? :)

So I decided to rather play offline but with the help of controllers. Is there anything I need to keep in mind or would any generic USB controller work? How hard is it to configure the buttons, etc.

Last edited: