Nintendo Switch (Was: Nintendo NX Announcement Tonight! October 20th 2016)

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Re: Nintendo NX Announcement Tonight! (October 20th 2016)

I really really like this new console, I think this has the potential to be one of the best consoles Nintendo has put out yet! How do you feel about it lefty?

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

My very first reaction was "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....................."

What I want to know is battery life when in "mobile" mode and if it is a touch screen. My WillU gamepad has a not so great battery life.

But yes, ARM CPU and a custom Nvidia tegra GPU. Still only 32-ishGB memory so external storage will be required.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member

Ill be busy as well, but I will also check it out!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Actual presentation starts at 33 minutes in. Early comment, the complexity of controls is going to be a pain to emulate HAHA!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

Good:

- The console/tablet has a USB Type-C at the bottom. This means you can use any USB type C charger or power bank with a Type C connection to extend battery life. This is AWESOME for traveling.
- Up to 8(confirm?) consoles can be "linked" for local multiplayer over wifi. Imagine Mario Kart (confirmed wiiu port) or other games!
- Support for SHXC cards to expand the terrible built in storage, it is not like we can expect a hard drive or SSD in a tablet form factor let's be real! Make sure to buy a good quality card, not some random brand card.
- The Joy Cons are surprisingly feature packed!
- $300 USD

Bad:
- Paid online multiplayer..........think xbox live and PS Plus..............
- Have you seen the accessory prices???!!! (extra docks, extra/replacement joy cons, pro controller etc)

Buying extras:
The only extra items you would need to buy are a screen protector (duh! I have one on my phone & tablet), a pro controller because it looks sooooo much comfortable (I have one for my WiiU and it is great, just as good as the PS3/4 controllet), a power bank if you are traveling. Perhaps an extra charger if not included for the joy con "dock".

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

No, I do not have one though I plan to wait a bit for more games to come out.

Fun fact, for charging it uses the "USB Type C PD" specification. So make sure any third party chargers or power banks you get to be compatible with the "PD" or Power Delivery specification. This is what was originally designed to allow laptops to be charged from a USB type C port (15 volts I believe, not my puny 2 volt tablet charger!!!).