Can't start get FF8

Rincar

Can't get FF8 started

Alright, I have looked through all 24 pages of the Playstation Emulation & Games section and found nothing that can help me, so I have looked. My problem is I can not get FF8 to run, it just sits at the black screen of death in which I have come to call it. I have I think close to 15 video plugins and and sound as well and none seem to work. I have tried to useing epsxe 1.5.6 and 1.6 and they both do not work. I have tried the diffrent configurations for the video plugins as well and nodda. I read the threads of people who have crashes....so it must be possible to get the darn thing to start.

Specs:
Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz
2.02GHz, 512 Ram
ATI 9600SE
If I forgot anything than please let me know.

Hope you all can help and thanks for trying,
Nick

Last edited:

Jay

Sly Little Devil
That's quite the problem you have there. It seems that we get a lot of complaints about getting that emulator to work. Have you tried this page? It's the "ePSXe step by step guide" from the emulator's official web site. Also on this page of Emulator-Zone you can find Rocky's epxse guide, which I believe even has screen shots. Hope you find what you need in one of these places.

BTW, did you find the BIOS and place it in the BIOS folder?

Rincar

Jay said:
BTW, did you find the BIOS and place it in the BIOS folder?

Yes, yes I did. The north american one.

Rincar

I'm sorry I have 30 video plugins, I just counted. hehehe

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Rincar said:
I'm sorry I have 30 video plugins, I just counted. hehehe

WOW! now that's a lot. It's always worked for me with the plug ins listed on the EZ plug ins page. I just had to play with the configuration. Have you try either of those guides?

Rincar

Well as of right now I am about to test the game out useing the first guide, then I shall try the second and make a post.

Rincar

I'm sorry I keep forgetting things. But I am not useing the cd itself, that is at a friends house so I am useing the iso, and also trying it through Daemon Tools and both those are not working.

Last edited:

Rincar

Well I tried the two guides you offered and still nothing. I can play Tactics but I really need to play FF8. So I guess any other sugjestions(spelling?) would be great. Thanks for what you have done so far........for even careing.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
When you load the iso with dameon tools, you should see an extra drive in "my computer" that appears to contain a PS game. If that doesn't show, then the computer doesn't "see" your "imaginary" drive and therefore epsxe will think there is no disc. Do you have another PS game you can use for testing purposes to see if espxe will load a real game from your real cd-rom drive? What happens when you try to use the built in :run iso" option? Just a black screen?

Rincar

Well I have played Tactics useing the actual CD and that works. I also made a tactics iso and mounted that and tried useing the "Run ISO" in epsxe and that gave me a black screen. To answer your question, yes it shows that I have four fake drives and shows my FF8 iso mounted on the second of the four.

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Well, it looks like you replied while I was still typing, heh... sorry. I was under the impression that epsxe didn't work for you at all. Sometimes you can use special plug ins that are made especially for certian games or that have check box fixes for common problems. Also if you want FF8 really bad and can't ever make it work there is a PC version of it out there, I just can't tell you where to find it on here. If you have broadband it shouln't be too long of a download, but if you have dial up forget it. Perhaps you may have better luck when you get the cd back from your friend. Sorry I haven't been more help.

Last edited:

Rincar

Dude mun I am just greatfull you took the time to help me instead of wait for someone else. Thanks

oh and what do you mean pc virsion, can you explane that to me?

Rincar

And why can't you tell me where to find it seeing that it was made or at least I think that is what I read.......it was made a sold in stores right? So if it really was than you would be able to tell me where I can find it. :D

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Calm down my friend, I can show you where to BUY it. I can't show you where to download it for free. I was simply hinting that it' IS possible. You are gonna so get me fired... :p ;)

btw, there is a link above to amazon where you can buy it/see it

Last edited:

Rincar

Oh i'm sorry for some reason that post didn't show up other whise I would have stopped posting. If you get fired just blame it on me.....maybe

Rincar

wow they will charge someone $80 just for a non online playing pc game.....interesting

Jay

Sly Little Devil
Yeah, I was getting your posts late too. I was kidding about the getting fired thing, you know that skinflit lefty doesn't even pay us? lol...

BTW, try not to double post, use the edit button... it's no big deal, ut it annoys some people :p

Last edited:

Rincar

Well how much do you want I think I have a few pennies lieing around. I should talk to him though, I mean you all are hard working people who just want a little something for your selfs and you can't even get that.......WHAT IS THIS SITE COMEING TO?!

sorry

Last edited: