Computer Problem: HDE Adapter for PS controller not working or configuring in PSXFIN

TinyKawaiiSatan

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Controller-Adapter-Converter-Playstation-2/dp/B001AATQ0Y

I plugged it in and went to my devices, and the adapter was shown as a game controller. So I opened its properties and tested the controller to make sure everything responded properly with my PS1 controller. Everything worked fine. Then I opened up the game on my emulator (psxfin) and suddenly the controller wouldn't work in the emulator. So I closed the emulator, checked the controller still worked in the device manager, and tried again. It still didn't work.
I unplugged the converter and plugged it back into the same USB port, and suddenly my PC didn't recognize it. It told me the device had malfunctioned. In its properties it says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

I unplugged it for a while, then plugged it back in 2 minutes later and suddenly it worked again. The computer installed it and then the same problem started all over again.
How do I fix this?

I run Windows 8, DirectX 11, on an MSI gaming motherboard. I've tried multiple usb ports and they all do the same thing. I have the double USB driver that came with the adapter installed.

UPDATE: When it does work on the device manager, I go to the emulator to try and configure the keybindings to change them to the controllers buttons and such. I click the very first option for UP on the D pad and it changes it to up on my joystick automatically without me doing anything, but everything else wont change or respond to the controller.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I have the same adapter here, though I do not own win8. It's not very likely to be an OS issue because this is a normal HID and drivers do not need to be installed. It works ok here with PSXFIN on win7.

I guess it could be one of 3 things.
1) The adapter is just bad, you need a new one.
2) The controller is causing a compatibility issue with the adapter. Try another controller, not the same model.
3) A corrupt HID driver. Hard to fix and test this one. Best way it to try another HID based game pad.

Aside from that, always try other usb ports, none usb 3.0 ports and rebooting.

Last edited: