Emulator Problem: Gamepad not working

AliceF

Ok, so I'm not tech savvy at all. I downloaded Epsxe and the game I wanted, and a Youtube tutorial helped me get the game working.

I have a USB controller which I can't seem to get to work with the game I'm trying to play. the game itself works fine, but I can't cope with the keyboard controls.

I have padSeguDIJoy.dll saved on the plugins for the emulator, and have tried configuring the gamepad about a million times but when I get on the actual game, the controller doesn't work. F5 doesn't help me either.

I'm probably doing something wrong, or have missed something, so if someone knows what that is and can tell me, I'd be very grateful!

Also, I had a different emulator years ago ( a friend helped me with that) and the controller worked fine with that, so I don't think it's broken.

Last edited:

jeruka9-san

Rookie Developer >_> <_<
Last edited:

malloc4096

u should try the basics first

see if the controller is detected and functions in windows itself. in..
>control panel \ game controllers
or >start \ run "joy.cpl" (is just the run sortcut for the above app).
goto properties and make sure the buttons react
if not first thing id try is switching usb ports.

the faq seems to be outdated, but some of it may still apply or help point in the right direction. i wouldn't know tho, havnt used a psx emu since 1.6. the bellow quote is from www.epsxe.com/files/ePSXe_FAQ.txt

to access regedit, goto >start \ run "regedit"
yes, i know ur a newb, just don't mess with anything ur not sapose to in regedit and it won't break... navigating to the location specified by the faq if neccessary is obvious once regedit is open, im telling u how to access it because it didnt, another thing faq fails to mention is some registry settings might not take affect untill you restart ur pc.

I also heard randomly from somewhere, an emulator may have issues setting controles if denied admin access to something, for example running in a restricted user account... I don't remember what i read that about tho, or if its even true. Iv never had such an issue, perhaps it was mistakenly worded, and meant to refer to people who maybe were trying to run the emu from a folder location outside "\program files"... because even in a limited user account, "program files" has more exacution right by default but setting it up in program files requires Admin rights by default.

Code:
Q:  During certain games the emulator doesn't react. Can this be fixed?
A:  Yes, to get the controller working again, you just need to enable "SIO IRQ always on" 
    in the misc menu or simply press F4 during emulation!

Q:  After I upgrade ePSXe, my controller no longer works!
A:  First, make sure you are running DirectX 7.0a or 8.0a, as versions 7.0 and 8.0 have 
    DInput problems which were fixed in their 'a' counterparts. You can get the lastest 
    DirectX from [url]http://www.microsoft.com/directx[/url] If that doesn't fix your problem, delete 
    the ePSXe Configuration registry entry under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epsxe\Config' 
    using Microsoft RegEdit. After deleting the entry, reconfigure 
    your controller (and everything else =P) in ePSXe.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
thx, jeruka9-san.

Yeah, i'll admit I have dealt with usb controllers for far too long but I think you're just a product of driver maddens. These types of controller adapters should not use drivers ever! If there is one, that is more then likely why you are having troubles.

malloc4096 pretty much gave you a step by step though. Epsxe is tricky to map... you need to hold down the button you are mapping then using the mouse click off the box that shows the mapped button before letting go of the button itself.

Let me know what you tried from malloc4096 and ill try to help if you still have issues.

Last edited: