Buzzing sound on ePSXe, broken animation on Mednafen

Musashi

I was testing Tobal on the 2 emulators, but neither seems able to run it right. Tobal uses redbook audio. When I tried playing it on ePSXe, the music buzzed and slowed. Mednafen got the music right but the polygon characters became broken and pixely during animations.

Which problem do I have a better chance of resolving via plugins/settings/other fixes?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Hey there, tomorrow after work I will try to see what I can do, can you tell me what version of ESPXE you are using, and what plugins you are using by default?

Musashi

Hello!

Awhile after this post I actually got it working beautifully on ePSXe. I will get the settings I used tonight after my own work as they might help other folks out. I also want to see if it was a question of computing power; the successful test was on my rather powerful desktop computer while it was my laptop that had the problems. I'd post specs for comparison but they seem to contain 'forbidden words' per the message board software. :confused:

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
That certainly is odd, Ive been a member for a little while and haven't had to deal with forbidden words, it must be because of our anti bot safety net, we've had problems with them for a couple years, haha. Are you able to post an image of your specs?

Musashi

Both computers were using:
ePSXe Ver 2.02-1
Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10 Beta
Settings:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9sb7rPGGKQcX3RVUkgxSzV6TTQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9sb7rPGGKQcT21ycFBlaHowVUU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9sb7rPGGKQcOUQ5S2JYV1pOdTQ

With the same settings, it ran excellently on my desktop but had many problems on the laptop.

Laptop:
Core2 Duo - 2.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro 8800 with 256MB

Desktop:
i7-4790 Quad - 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM, DDR3, 1600 MHz
GTX 980 Ti with 6GB

The forbidden word with an "At" sign :glare:

Last edited:

malloc4096

I maybe wrong, but I highly doubt it was the laptops specs. for reference tho outdated, as example, back in the day when i used epsxe, it was v1.6 and ran it on a Celeron bairly pushing 1ghz, using SDram i think lol. I havn't tried the new versions, tho i do realize they will be using updated DX and OGL, that alone tho cant cripple a 2.8 core2.

I didn't click ur links, and i could be wrong. but if it helps any, my guess would be a difference in the Drivers/OS, or CDrom perhaps if ur running the games from CD instead of a ripped ISO disk image.

..a lot of peopls OS's are screwed up also with improper installations/malware/etc. not to say urs is, but thats the way the general population is.

EDIT: something random I just remembered.. I don't remember what kind of emu i read this about, was a long time ago. but it said that If ran on a overclocked system it may expereince glitches/errors due to timing issues perhaps IDKexactly. I know it probably doesn't apply anymore, I don't even remember what emu i read that about. and on that same note, but in a different technical manor.. in general an improper overclock can cause issues. Don't know if ur laptop is, just throwing it out there also for others. I personally don't OC, and ina nutshell especially to those who can't afford to do it right, the performance gain is minimal and not worth the risk of damage to ur components.

Last edited:

Musashi

The laptop is Windows 7 Pro; desk is Windows 8.1 Home.

The laptop was bought as a refurb. No OCing that I know of but I'll check.

I tried both my original CD and a rip; same results.

All the while if anyone with similar specs wants to share their plugins/settings info, especially if it ran games well without the crippling buigs I got, I'd love to hear about it.

malloc4096

there was a site with the term 'psxdatacenter' in its name that someone mentioned before.. that i believe has user settings listed for how they got various games to run. I never used the site, cause my firewall makes it difficault to access some sites, and thats one of them, when i heard about it i think the site had been moved around a bit but its still out htere somewere i think.

another general note re the difficaulty on some emu's... when emu's are around for a long long time, there dev team and code may change around sometimes. maybe more common with HLE(high level emus), which epsxe was. and what sometimes might happen when new games and features are added, old ones may become less compatible or more buggy with the new Emu version.

I don't know anything of the game ur trying to run, but it maybe worth your while and simple enough to try it on an older version of the emu. On an Emu's offical download archive site, take notice of the dates(if shown) listed for the versions, so u can see how they correspond with your PC/OS release date. the versions released in the generational life of ur OS maybe the most compatible.