Paper Mario always freezes at the same spot

stebbinsd

When I have the scripted battle against Bowser at the beginning of the game, I can hit Bowser without issue, but the game crashes as soon as Bowser takes his first shot at me. It's always immediately after Bowser makes contact. It happens consistently.

I've tried switching from Project64 to 1964. I have the same problem.

I've tried deleting my old .N64 file and downloading a new one. It doesn't fix the problem.

What do I do? I've beaten this game before, using emulators, so this is a recent problem. What's going on?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
pardon me, but have you tried switching video plugins, like, say, Glide64? Also, it might be worthwhile to try out Mupen64 Re-Recording and see if the problem still persists.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Welp, if you do got glide64, all you would need to do is go to options-> settings -> and in the "plugins" tab go to the drop menu that usually has "jabos direct3d8 and switch to Glide64. If you don't have Glide64, then you would need to download it from here :https://code.google.com/archive/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads and put the glide64.dll from the plugin folder from the download, put it in the plugin folder where project64 is installed, then run the game.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Haha, im sorry, I spoke as plainly as I possibly could have. When I am done with a few things, I'll throw a quick video together.

Edit: also, it would be a good idea to ask you what operating system you are on.

Last edited:

stebbinsd

That one specifically says in the beginning (via annotation) that it's outdated since Project 64 has been updated since then.

Anyway, I put the Glide64.dll files in the "PRoject64\plugin" folder, but the option to switch to Glide64 in the settings menu.