ps1 controller

Dailenth

Natec P65 Is a Great deal because It supports D-Input and X-Input and has vibration feedback. They're pretty cheap and the product is quality.
Unless you want a real PSX Controller for the PC then I recommend searching for a 3rd party adapter.

Last edited:

malloc4096

I'll hijack this thread for a question Ill never create a topic for all its own. And make a suggestion for the OP based on assumptions due to lack of info.

my question is kind of specific so i wont be saprized if no one has any input...
The only adapter Iv ever used so far.. is maybe ~15yrs old now i dont even know.
Its a comb of 2 ports [(1)ps1 + (1)n64] port to usb adapter. it has a tiny switch on it to toggle between the ps and n64, so only 1 can be used at a time

heres my question...
both ports work. however, on this particular setup/adapter or controller Im not sure which part in the chain if any is the reason for this... but I feel the n64 controller responds better than the playstation. BUT heres the thing, I don't really notice any difference at all unless I play a very fast paced game, such as MarvelVSCapcom / XmenVStreetfighter turbo, KillerInstinct, or the like.

If anyone has experience with these controllers and such fast paced combo games, where u have to exacute the buttons pretty quick if your not cheating... Let me know your input... cause I would be very curious to know if newer adapters are just better, or perhaps its just the nature of the controllers.. or perhaps Im just more comfortable with the n64 controller.

with that I'll mention, the n64 controller seems in general to get a lot of hate... but its the controller that almost always works best for me, and honestly is more comfortable than the playstation controller just holding it not playing a game.

Iv only owned a few systems personally but Iv used almost all from the snes and up, and I love how some of them Look such as the playstation for example, and thats one that I owned and loved it.. but honestly the n64 and Dreamcast were the most comfortable, easiest and most responsive Iv ever used.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You're speaking of Neds design. He was the first to adapt the n64 to PC via usb but his design had a few faults. Instead of coding in ASM he chose c and the timing is a bit off. There have been numerous n64 adapter since. The adaptoid (one of the best), raphael's design, mayflash, and my adapters. Raphael and I joined n64 projects to be the runner up to the adaptoid. Thus far we do offer the best option unless you can afford and find the adaptiod.

As for psx on that adapter, it's limited and I believe it used "bit banging" to communicate. The psx protocol has been understood for a long time and most newer adapters show no lag. For my design I choose the SPI as a way to communicate. The SPI is a recognized standard in communication and will clock to a specific speed. So you never get laggy speeds or slow downs.

malloc4096

thank u, thats sticky thread quality info. I knew nothing of adapters beyond using them.

...with that I guess this old thing works really good for what it is, being the worst and all. What I mentioned above is the only odd thing I noticed, and Im not even sure its lagg Im experiencing. I never had any fast paced button mashing games on the actual playstation, Sonys D-pad is also different than the classic style Nintendo D-pad. could be a combo of misc things.. could also just be me getting old LoL <--I would definity double check that lol, but I don't have the n64 controller anymore.

either way I love the info, as I will someday get a better adapter an stuff anyhow.
on that same note I'll ask if anyone has recomendations of quality sources to get actual (outdated console)controllers IF for any reason they can't be found locally. just in case, as an alternative to ebay or local used electronic/game resellers.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
The best way to test a controller response is to get a joy2key app like xpadder. Then assign A button to key 'a'. Open up notepad and go to work ( bam, bam, bam ) 3 hits as fast as you can. Did you see 3 a's? Though yes is helps to be a good button masher ;)